Super Duty 48" vs. 54"

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by cemler, Apr 22, 2008.

1. cemler

cemler LawnSite Member

Can't decide between the two. Two dealers in my area only stock the 54" flavor. Pricing is only a few hundred more for the 54" over the 48". Dealer says he is willing to allow me to try the 54" before I buy. This is very nice of him, but I don't want to waste his time if I decide on the 48" instead. I am a homeowner buying entry level commercial. I have hills that meet at a low point and am worried that the 54" deck would be too large. Storage space is not an issue.

I have been told by others that the 48" may cut better. Any truth to this?
    Would the smaller 48" deck directional change on slopes be more agile than a bigger deck?

Also, I have been told to go with seperate pump & wheel motor (EverRide dealer trying to sell me a 48" Hornet over the FasTrack SD) versus the ZT2800s. I see more entry level commercial going with these ZT2800s. Would a homeowner like me ever even notice a difference?

Any help or info you can provide would be highly appreciated.

2. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

The 48 and 54 cut exactly the same, only difference is 6" more production per pass with the 54"
    As to the hill stability, I think you will find the heavier and wider the mower, the better handling, again the 54 would work best here.
    As to the hills meeting at a low point, do you have a picture? I haven't seen to many places where the mower wont work in what I imagining your situation to be.
    Another benefit, you will have more trim capabilities with the 54".
    As to the pump and wheel motor vs ZT2800's, the ZT's have the same charge pump rotation group as the bdp10 pumps, it is a perfect set up in the applications we put them in and sell them for.
    We have been using integrated hydros for 6 years now and have little problems, they work great and we sell a lot, tons of these FasTraks with them.
    More and more mfg's are building units with integrated hydros and you will be real surprised to what you see with oem's use of these in the future, on machines of all sizes and hp.
    Hope this helps, let me know if you have any more questions.

Pj

3. cemler

cemler LawnSite Member

Pictures are attached. I suppose when Landscape is complete this hill will no longer pose a problem.

4. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

No pictures attached?