super duty front mount vac setup

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by supercuts, Oct 20, 2007.

1. supercuts

supercuts LawnSite Silver Member

ive seen alot of questions on here about how to mount a vac on the front. please dont reply telling me how it is illegal to mount one on the front.

this year we've upgraded to an f550 for leaves but this will work for any superduty and other brands too im sure with a bit of researching. i have the giant vac swing away 16hp loader unit. i simply bought a front mounted reciever and slid the swing away into it. it was very simple to install the front reciever. remove front bumper, take the 4 bolts off in the front, remove the 2 tow hooks, drill 4 new holes, stick the reciver in place, put your 8 bolts in, put the tow hooks back in. wa-la, 30 mins later you have a front hitch.

it is rated for 500lbs and seems to hold it just fine. it is very stable and will be very easy to take off. i used to make a frame mount then bolt the unit to the frame i made, but i had to take the bumper off and didnt look very professional. this one looks great. it was only $126.00 too.

my oppinion is that it is much more practical to mount it in the front, you still retain your rear hitch and can pull a trailer at the same time and it is much easier to work with someone will using it. easier to see where to park, and no need to disconnect trailer type when dumping.

ive also seen lots of people take the tube off each time they dump, i make a bracket out of 1" square pipe to mount it too behind the cab so you simply dump and dont need to worry about the tube. saves alot of time. happy to answer ?'s when im on and again, please dont point out its illegal to put it in the front. i see the state trucks set up like this

2. Stihl036pro

Stihl036pro LawnSite Member

Mark.... Its Carpenter, I have a front mount 20 horse set up for the front of my super duty. You should stop by and check it out. Its not to hard if you have a skid mount leaf vac.

3. jsaunders

jsaunders LawnSite Bronze Member

I have my 23 hp billygoat mounted on the front of the F550 as well. Much easier for everything as far as fall cleanups. I used to have the loader in the front of the trailer --- I will not go back EVER..........

4. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

I can certainly see how this would work well. How much sway (rocking) do you get from the equalizer tube? Would it be practical to also run a simple bolt on brace underneath on one side to stabilize it? This is how we are doing our Permagreen racks (not on front, but in back).

5. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

any chance of posting a few pics of it?

6. supercuts

ill try to post pics in the next day or two. the reciever doesnt sway at all, the unit has a bit of sway since it isnt a 100% tight fit so we hammered a ground down washer in as a wedge.

mike, you have a plow frame done you??? i dont plow with mine so i was avoiding spending the money on the frame. i do want to upgrade to a 20 or 25hp though. did i mention i just paid $900 to have a new impeller put on??

7. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

Daricek, you don't need the wedge just put a rachet tie down strap from one side to the bumper and pull it tight. We have to do the same thing to ours.

8. DuallyVette

DuallyVette LawnSite Gold Member

$900 for a new impeller sounds steep. Why so much ?

9. supercuts

good idea, the wedge is working perfect for now, but if it doesnt, ill take your idea. thanks

10. supercuts

i have the older type, they had to sawsall the old one off, steel is way up so the price of the new impeller was almost $500.