Super Duty Quick 36 or Exmark 36" Belt Drive?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by riley1374, Feb 23, 2005.

1. riley1374

riley1374 LawnSite Member

I was considering both mowers for small residentials. These will be roughly 100 X 100 yards and this will be my main mower. Can you guys let me know what you think of both these mowers? Thanks

2. Mark McC

Mark McC LawnSite Bronze Member

I don't have any experience with the Quick 36, but I have an eXmark Metro 36.

The cut on the Metro is great for a mower this size. The Kawasaki 12.5 has more than enough oomph, but I should point out that I did not use a sulky or velke. The deck tends to bog down a little in wet, heavy growth, but I doubt any mower in this category can avoid that problem.

Deck height adjustment is kind of a pain. It takes about seven to eight minutes once you get the hang of it, but I found it annoying.

The fixed deck wasn't much of a problem when it came to scalping, but I have no floating deck experience to compare.

Belt drive machines will really work your hands and forearms. If you're 6-2 and weigh 220 or more, your hands and forearms are probably beefy enough that it won't bother you, but much smaller and you may end up with a mild case of tendinitis by the end of the year if you're running the machine 20-plus hours a week. The belt drive on this machine actually performed fairly well in the wet stuff, though.

The Kawasaki 12.5 starts easily. Never had a problem with it. Nice bit of torque. PTO is the standard manual thing. Nothing exciting there.

Fuel tank is easily enough for a day's work. Greasepoints are not bad to get to. Changing the deck belt on this thing is a pain, though, because one of the belt retains is too close to the pulley. The mower is small enough that I can pop the deck up to go over obstacles.

Cant' think of anything else. Good luck whatever you choose.

3. riley1374

Thanks Mark, I appreciate the response. Anyone else have any input on these machines?

4. gogetter

gogetter Banned

I have the same mower as Mark. It was my first mower, got it 4 years ago. If I was doing it over I would probably go with something different.
    Most likely something like the Snapper 32" single hydro (same as the Ferris Hyrdocut).
    Several reasons:

1. I have a lot of fenced in backyards in my area, and even my 36" doesn't fit through many of the gates. The Snapper/Ferris would, so I wouldn't have to have a 21" mower on the trailer.

2. The controls on the Snapper seem more user friendly then pistol grips. And would be easier to teach a new person to use them in the event that I take on employees.

3. The deck height adjustment couldn't be easier, just turn a crank at the rear of the mower.

4. The price of the Snapper single hydro is about the same as a belt drive from most commercial manufacturers.

As a matter of fact, I will probably be selling the Exmark 36" this year and replacing it with the Snapper.

P.S. What part of NJ are you from?

5. TClawn

TClawn LawnSite Silver Member

the quick 36 does not fit through all gates, so if this is your only mower, or you some big back yards with 34" gates, I would get the ferris 32".

the ferris is a single hydro (just like the super duty) so you don't have to swich in and out of gears all the time.

I have the regular quick 36, and can say that it is very easy to handle and manouver. my experience with gary has been nothing short of excellent. the thing that would swing my dicision between the super duty and the hydro cut, would be, weight. I would buy the lightest out of the two.

6. gogetter

gogetter Banned

Here's the Snapper 32" I was talking about (same as Ferris, different hand controls).

Don't pay too much attention to the MSRP. I've usually seen it selling for a couple to few hundred bucks less. And the reason I asked where in NJ you were, is because a dealer in Maple Shade that is having an open house next month will have it at $1899 for one day !!!!. :)

http://www.snapperpro.com/comm_32_walkbehind_hydro.php

7. TClawn

TClawn LawnSite Silver Member

when you look at the snapper and the ferris (same machine) make sure you look at dealer support. it may be worth $500 dollars to have a dealer that is there for you.

with the quick 36. you can take it to any mechanic you want and they will pay for the repairs.

8. J.Gordon

J.Gordon LawnSite Senior Member

That is a sweet looking machine. From the picture that mower has a lot of potential! And I have a Snapper/Ferris dealer close buy. I think that would be a great addition to my 54’’ SWB. Thanks for posting your write up on this little 32’’er gogetter. I will definitely have to check it out!
    Jeff

9. riley1374

Gogetter, i am in Toms River, NJ near the coast, but i have family out in Yardley. They are right near washington crossing. Thanks for the info. Let me know more about that dealer with the snapper, looks like a nice mower.

10. gogetter

gogetter Banned

Toms River is a good bit away from this dealer. I'd suggest going to Snapper and Ferris's websites and using their Dealer Locater features to try to find something as close to you as possible.

Most dealers have an open house near spring, so you could possibly find it at a similar price locally.

Good luck.