Super Mini Z blades

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by estrov, Aug 23, 2006.

1. estrov

estrov LawnSite Member

I just purchased a used (2003) Super Mini Z with a 52" deck and and Honda 24HP.

I purchased new blades as recommended by Mowproducts.com and they are offset. The cutting edge is actually below the mower deck edge. I don't think this is correct.

Does this deck only work with straight blades?

Sorry for the newbie question, but what is the best method for changing blades? Remove deck or just lift the front of the mower? Do I need a impact wrench?

Also, what is recommended for oil in the engine and hydro system? The manual does not provide part numbers for the oil filters. With the info above, can someone provide filter p/ns?

Thank you for the help.

2. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

Those are certainly the wrong blades, the Mini Z and Super Mini Z use flat blades.
    Remove those blade ASAP they are not safe to run on your unit.
    The part # you need is 795526, this is the Fusion blade, the non-Fusion blade is part # 783753
    I would just jack up the front of the mower put some jack stands under it and remove the blades with a impact if you have one, if not use a breaker bar and a block of wood or a blade holder.
    Oil in the engine is 10W30 and oil in the hydro system is 10w40, with a Lubrizol additive.
    You can download a parts manual here > http://www.hustlerturfequipment.com/Manual/Manual.html
    It has all the part#'s you need.

Pj

3. tn mac

tn mac LawnSite Member

Dont wast your money on the fusion blade it cuts the turf in very long large pieces,making it hard to hide the clippings. go with the stock blade or after market gatorsfor best results.

4. mowerconsultant

Male, from Syracuse, NY

The Fusion blade is the best cutting blade we use, it is the best choice for your mower.

Pj

5. tn mac

tn mac LawnSite Member

PJ ,are you saying that the fusion blades are the best cutting blades in all types of turf, or are you saying that it is the best cutting blade being offered by huster at this time. I am not trying to give you a hard time just very disappointed with the poor cut of my new mower. the problem that we are having in the southern turf, is not the same as the north as our grass grows much faster and is very thick. the fusion blade just doesnt cut the pieces up small enough. one cut and then discharged ,where the gator cuts it several times and the pieces come out very small.

6. mowerconsultant

Male, from Syracuse, NY

I cant say they are the best in all types of turf and conditions, but they are the best choice in our blade line up, we have had no complaints that I am aware of until your's, they stay sharp for a long time, and guys love them cause they cut everything nice and clean, your complaint of them cutting the grass too long isn't so much a fault of the Fusion blade but more of the conditions and also the style of blade it is.
    So what I am saying is that you may have to fine tune your blade usage for the grass type and conditions.

Pj

7. tn mac

tn mac LawnSite Member

I dont have a problem with fine tuning If there is a way to fine tune. my dealer is telling me there are only 2 blades offered by hustler. the fusions do cut clean but that has never been a issue for me cause we change blades daily, and always will the blades are easier to sharpen and last longer if changed daily. that is the only advantage that I see with the fusion blade,there is no way for me to control the growth of the turf, or the cut cycle so how do I fine tune, also can you tell me why hustler doesnt have more blades for different types of turf and different areas.

8. mowerconsultant

Male, from Syracuse, NY

Here are the blades available for the 52" Mini Z / Super Mini Z and FasTrak 52"

FasTrak/MiniZ/Super Mini Z 52 side discharge 783753, standard lift, stock blade on the Fastrak
    FasTrak/MiniZ/Super Mini Z 52 side discharge / deck mounted catcher 787721, this is a high lift blade
    FasTrak/MiniZ/Super Mini Z 52 mulching 794198, this is a wavy mulching blade
    Mini Z/Super Mini Z 52 side discharge 795526, this is the Fusion blade that comes stock on the Mini Z and Super Mini Z.

9. tn mac

tn mac LawnSite Member

what happen to the gators, that is what works here. but my main concern is with the 66 inch deck as there are no aftermarket blades as of yet, and hustler has no blade that works in the fast growing southern turf, so my question is how did they test the deck in the south the fusion cuts fine but leaves such big pieces of grass that there is no way to hide them the wavey blade is for muching so where is the side discharge blade for southern turf