super mini Z gas tanks

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by hustler1, Oct 4, 2003.

1. hustler1

hustler1 LawnSite Member

Question.....should only one gas tank valve be open at a time? When I picked up my machine both were open. I took it in for repair cause the oil light was going on at idle and it was backfiring badly when shut down and running way too rich. It came back running fine, but only one gas tank valve is open now. Did having both valves open at the same time cause it to run too rich? Obviously it would make sense to have only one open at a time to avoid running out of fuel, but I did'nt even know there was a shutoff valve on it till I read about it in these forums. For winter storage should I shut them both off and run the gas out of the carb after adding stabilizer?

2. imograss

imograss LawnSite Senior Member

having both tanks open will not cause problems, its made to this wat to take advantage of mowing for extended periods without re fueling. sometimes i will shut the right tankk off of my super z so i can fill only the left side every morning.

3. superman

superman LawnSite Member

Heck, I didn't know you could cut them off. Where are these switches located?? I was thinking of mounting me a switch up by the throttle, however if it is already there.........

4. imograss

imograss LawnSite Senior Member

superman,
    if its like my super z, its on the very bottom on the front of each tank. its a small dial.

5. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

The valve on the mowers are at the bottom of the fuel tank's.
    This is on all Hustler Z's and Super's and FasTrak's.
    There is a fuel valve kit that will allow you to switch between tanks at ease, it is part # 353748 and retails for $29.00.
    This kit will mount the fuel valve next to the seat and allow you to quickly switch from tank to tank, and shut off the fuel.
    Hope this helps

Pj

6. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

With the valves open on both tanks, the gas level equalizies and you have the same weight on both drive wheels.

Gene

7. superman

superman LawnSite Member

Pj, that is exactly what I want. Thanks for the part number and price. That will be one of my winter projects.

Judd

8. superman

superman LawnSite Member

How does this switch exactly work? I mean, with it installed can I turn on both tanks if I wanted? Reason I ask is I have a friend with a switch on his Bunton, and it is either right tank on, left tank on, or both tanks off. I would like it to be left on, or right on, or both on. I know I am picky.

Judd

9. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

It is left or right and off.