Super Mini Z Opinions..

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by icatcher, Dec 16, 2003.

1. icatcher

icatcher LawnSite Member

Ok Heres the deal.
    Last week I went to my dealer to order a Super Mini Z (25/52), after demoing a Mini Z (23/52). I decided on the Super Mini over the demo mower because the little price difference and the Susp Seat, more HP and bigger pumps. Plus the fact that it's brand new and don't have to worry about the demo hours. The demo looked bad with only 40 hrs on it.
    Here's my issue....
    When I ordered the Super the dealer(one of the salesmen) said it would be a 04. The owner called back, after about 4 days and said it would be a 03 and they have no specials on the 04. (03 specials are 20% off msrp.) The differences on the 04 vs 03 are ( as far as I know) larger rear tires and a redesigned frame to suit the larger rears.

Here's a quote from Hustler Rep about the larger tires.
    I prefer the 04 due to the fact it is a year newer (in case of resale or do people just look at hours?) larger rear tires(smoother ride , I do small residential 15,000 sf +/-).
    I know/hope Hustler will probably run the same deal in the spring so here is my dilemma. Buy a 03 now or wait on the 04. Don't know if there going to be any price increase on the 04's.

I just want the most bang for the buck like all consumers.I know this sounds petty but hey I was told it was an 04. I plan on seeing my dealer when it arrives and see if I can get a better price on the 03. So what do you guys think? Is it worth waiting on an 04 or what..
  2. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

They put BIGGER TIRES on it because it needed it. Get a lock on the 04 and go with that one.
  3. MudslinginFX4

MudslinginFX4 LawnSite Bronze Member

In my opinion I think it depends on how much you are saving on a 03. If you are saving quite a bit of money by the 03....if something happens to it way down the road you will be able to fix it if needed. JMO.
  4. icatcher

icatcher LawnSite Member

Ok here's the deal..
    The super mini came in..
    As it sits for a 03 25/52 with the mulch kit and hitch it's $6900 + tax.. That's about 20% off msrp.
    MSRP is 8702 with 25/52 mulch kit and hitch kit..
    So almost $2000 savings on the 03 vs. 04 and also my dealer has yet to get priciing for the 04. So there could be a price increase most likely..
  5. DennisF

DennisF LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

That's an excellent price. I paid $6,800 + tax for my 03 Hustler Z 23/52 with the mulch kit and that was the lowest price I could find at the time. The super Mini Z comes standard with the suspension seat so that's another plus. The only bad thing is that the Mini Z and Super Mini Z have a lighter frame than the Hustler Z and Super Z. That should not be a problem though, all Hustlers are well built and tough as nails. I say go for it. If you wait for the 04 you might miss out on the 20% discount. Good luck.
  6. icatcher

icatcher LawnSite Member

Ok Guys..
    I bout the 03 Super Mini Z...
    Man that thing is pretty fast and leaves a great cut.
    However, when mulching leves it needs to be double cut,
    this is using the mulch kit and the standard blades.
    Anyone have a better blade combo? I got a set of gators on order and am awaiting them.. However in the mean time I was wondering what everyone else uses.. Summer, Spring, Fall Winter...
    Also since oregon doesn't make the gator anymore and Hustler sells there brand, are there any alternatives out there, ie. Other Mowers blades.. Stock is 17 7/8" with a 5/8" hole. j-thomas has a set of what looks like gators for the scag that are 18" with a 5/8" hole. Woder if these will work?
  7. DennisF

from Florida

Buy a set of genuine Gator mulcher blades and install a blow out kit for mulching leaves. The blow out kit will keep the leaves under the deck allowing for better mulching of the leaves and a cleaner finished job.
  8. icatcher

icatcher LawnSite Member

Got a set of gators on order.
    No blow out kit for the 52" mini z decks yet, per Pj.
    Was just wondering if the Scag blades could be used if I got into a pinch for gators.
    Also are you using just gators, doubles etc.
    Also which set of gators, I am thinking high lifts..
  9. DennisF

from Florida

I'm using a single set of Gator standard mulching blades. I will be buying a set of high lifts to see if they perform better. I've never tried doubles, but probably will in the spring. Scag Marbane blades are also excellent. I run them on my Scag WB with a mulch kit and it does a beautiful job. Just don't buy a set of cheap no name blades. I've tried them in the past and don't compare to Gators. Good Luck.