Super mini Z still cutting out

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by tenners, Sep 1, 2006.

1. tenners

tenners LawnSite Member

We have a 2005 Super mini Z with less than 100 hours on it, that has been having problems with cutting out(even completely dying) when mowing. Mostly on ruff terrain but can be at anytime also. We've had it in the shop and added flex forks to help the bumping and then had some parts replaced on the carb. to try to remedy the situation. After the repairs, we mowed again and no change. Also, since the carb changes the mower seems to have lost some power. It now boggs down when going up an incline to the point of completely shutting off. It's also throwing out clumps of grass like you can't believe. I'm going to take pictures the next time so I can see if this is normal. We've spoken with the dealer and he indicates no one else is having any problems so there's not much else he can do for us. I don't believe this to be the case, since I've read a similar thread regarding mowers with the Kaw motors that have the same exact problem. He said he was going to have a Hustler rep contact us so they could come out to our mowing site to see the problems first hand but we have not heard from anyone.
    Not trying to ruffle any feathers but it's getting very frustrating. Everyone says Hustler has great customer service but all we seem to be getting is "it must be how your mowing".
    We've taken a Scag demo and a John Deere demo to the same locations and they mowed just fine. Never once did either of them cut out or bogg down.
    Anyway, sorry for the long post but we don't know what to do next. Please help.:confused:

2. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

Tenner's.
    E-mail me your information along with your dealers and your model and serial #.
    I will get our regional service manager involved.

Pj

3. Accu-cut Lawn Care

Accu-cut Lawn Care LawnSite Bronze Member

Two things... Are you using high octane fuel? I have actually noticed a very measurable decrease in power and smoothness while trying to run 92 octane( use 87). Have you checked your valve clearances?

4. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

It may be a longshot but it's a cheap one to try. I had a mower of another brand that cut out on hills and ran weak. After numerous dealer trips and repair attempts it turned out to be fuel starvation when under a heavier laod caused by a clean-looking but clogged $2 fuel filter. Might try checking that.
    The clumping may be from the rpm's dropping and the blades turning too slowly.

I won't tell you what the engine manufacturer, through the dealer, spent to finally fix my problem. But they should have hired more competent mechanics who knew to check the easy stuff first.