Super-premium mowing??

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by porter rockwell, Jun 3, 2005.

1. porter rockwell

porter rockwell LawnSite Member

I have this idea of unrolling a super-premium lawn mowing service. Wondering if anyone has tried anything like this... or has seen anything like this work.

My idea is a pick up a used golf course "tee mower". Like a greensmower but usually a wider cut, maybe 28", with a walk behdind reel mower out front riding on a roller. (I used to use one when I worked on a golf course.) and offer a mowing service that would stripe up a front lawn just like a golf course.

It would be expensive to do, you would have to cut the grass first with a traditional mower, comb area for debris (to protect reel mower) , then cut with the reel mower. Some lawns would need to be rolled first.

I have seen some "striping" rollers, and seen some degree of striping effect from regular mowers, but a Tee mower would really give that golf course effect. Also, the skinnier cut path would add to the effect (as opposed to a wider cutting tri-plex)

The issue I have not worked out, is how high tee mowers can be set to cut. If it could come up to 2", and you cut with regular mower at 2-1/2" it could possibly work.

Possible customers would be realtors looking for a special look for a home on the market, someone holding backyard parties, weddings, or just plain rich dudes who want their front lawn to look smokin hot.

anyone tried it? Could it work?

2. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

I think you would have to find someone who cared more for their lawn than their family IMO...special occasion maybe.

3. A+ Lawncare

A+ Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

i looked into doing this a few weeks ago, i was told in order to have that golf course appearance you have to cut the lawn every day w/the reel mower....

4. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

I don't know that many customers would go for it. Maybe a few here or there. The average Joe Customer doesn't get all geeked-up over stripes and things like that, they just know when you mowed the lawn because it looks shorter.

Of course, if you give it a really premium price, and make it worth the hassle, who knows?

5. LawnBrother

LawnBrother LawnSite Senior Member
    from SW Ohio

Well, I think there probably is a market for something like that, albeit a small one, but maybe it could turn out to be an untapped niche? I think a good way to find out is to come to a good estimate on your costs so you can price accordingly, and then put together a super nice package for a direct mail test. Target the right area and see how many replies you get. Who knows? Might be a great idea, I know there are a lot of people with a lot of money sitting around and nothing better to do than spend it. Also, these rich bastards love to impress people any way they can. Once all their rich buddies see their awesome lawn, they will just HAVE to have one.......
    Even if you can make it worth your time to do just a few at first, it just might catch on. There might be a large start up cost, to richies image is huge. If you want to be Super Premium, they will expect all your vehicles, equipment, and even uniform to be real sharp as well. Just a thought. But again, who knows? Stick your toe in the water and you might catch a big fish......

6. kcowell

kcowell LawnSite Member

That hits the nail on the head. To look like a golf course, you'd have to maintain it like a golf course, and that is every day.

7. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Yeah, especially if it has weeds :)

But check out what I found (look at the pics, I was stunned):
    http://www.elmlawnsite.com/lawn_pictures_page.htm

Now for all THAT, yeah I'll do horizontal/vertical/diagonal cuts... Wonder how crop-circles would look, the only thing is the directional issue...

Anyway so I went here next and ordered the kit :)
    http://www.bigleaguelawns.com/

Leave a lawn looking like that, yeah, NOW word-of-mouth should work the way it's supposed to.

8. Guthrie&Co

Guthrie&Co LawnSite Senior Member
    from nc

not to mention that you would need to switch the lawn to bent grass. it wont work with fescue

9. Tn Lawn Man

Tn Lawn Man LawnSite Senior Member

Topsites

Have looked into this brand/type of striping kit before. It looks like it would do great for larger areas with little turning.

However, it seems that if you make a true zero degree turn then the rollers would be forced to slide sideways instead of rolling.

What is your experience with this?

Thanks

10. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

you going to call it " tee time" landscape maintenance.
    where coming home makes you want to yell "FORE"..................