Super Surfer field test............

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by K&L Landscaping, Mar 17, 2005.

1. K&L Landscaping

K&L Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

Well, I just picked up the Great Dane Super Surfer today for the field test for Turf Magazine in an upcoming issue. I would like to give a few immediate first impressions. However, the high here today was 39 degrees with intermittent snow showers. :cry: Needless to say I wasn't cutting any grass and I didn't really feel like running around on this thing in the cold. One thing I did like right of the bat was how easy it was to see over the front of the mower. Just from the back of the trailer to the shop I was already impressed with that aspect of the machine.

I will report more of my findings when the weather lends to it. I anticipate starting fulltime next week. Stay tuned.........

2. txlawnking

txlawnking LawnSite Bronze Member

I sure had a love/hate relationship with my old one... I loved the concept, But hated Great Dane. I had a 52" with the 22 Kohler. Changing the oil is a real chore, It clogged fairly easily, ( My solution was running doubles, Raptor mulchers on top, the stockers on bottom, It truly transformed the machine ).
    It also suffered from HORRIBLE blowout, and I felt it needed about 5 more Hp.. Other than that, and the nightmare of getting parts ( the " I hate GD part"..) It was a good machine.. Mine was a leftover 2000 model, if yours is brand new, they may have improved it.. BTW, before you run it for five minutes, go over EVERY single fastner and check them all for tightness, when mine had all of 10 hrs, the hydro drive idler's bolt fell out, causing it to immoliate the belt :angry: Also, when working in real leafy, or dry grass conditions, lift up the "lean pad" and clean the leaves off of the engine's screen, mine would get completely cover in about 5-10 minute when the leaves were bad, because of the blowout.

I'm not trying to make you feel bad, I'm just tryin' to help you out, and warn you about the weaknesses I found. Good luck with yours payup

3. K&L Landscaping

K&L Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

I have ever reason to believe that this is a quality machine. Sounds like you had great deal of trouble with yours. The one being used for the field test is the new 2005 Super Surfer Series 2 with a 23hp Kohler engine. I really look forward to using it in a plethora of environments. I will post my likes and dislikes once I have had ample time to evaluate the machine. I can't wait!!!

4. txlawnking

txlawnking LawnSite Bronze Member

I wasn't trying to paint a bad picture of the machine, I was just letting you know there can be some problems. I really did like my machine, and the only problem where it just broke was the belt deal.

Believe me, I'm sold on the idea of stand up machines, no doubt, I just had severe problems getting parts. Good luck.