Super Surfer Hydrostat oil seeping

Discussion in 'Great Dane' started by indruf, Apr 25, 2004.

1. indruf

indruf LawnSite Member

I am having a problem with the hydrostat oil seeping up and around the cap on the top of the tank. I had my dealer look at it and he said the tank was overfilled and removed some oil. This seemed to work for a couple of mows but has returned. I have 17 hours on the machine (61"). Some times it creates a minor drip or 2 and some days it looks like an oil tanker ran aground. The mower seems to run fine. Thanks in advance for any help.

2. James Froh

James Froh LawnSite Member

Hi,
    First thing, is to check with your dealer again and make sure something else has not happened. otherwise the oil seepage is not a problem, it does happen on occassion but minimal amounts.

As the oil heats up it expands and takes up more room in the tank, it also is constantly moving as it is pumped, movement over rough terrain causes the oil to slosh aound, air bubbles burst on the oil surface and all of this causes some oil to mix with the air and escapes from the vent and it falls to the top of the tank. It is harmless.
    Jim

3. indruf

indruf LawnSite Member

I wouldnt think much of it if the oil wasnt seeping around a tightly closed screw down cap on the top of the oil reservoir. There is enough oil at times to take 3-4 paper towels to clean it up.

4. apluslawn

apluslawn LawnSite Member

I have a chariot and asked the same thing a few weeks ago. my machine runs great and hast had any problems but it is a vented cap and as jim said the oil heats up , expands and seeps out a little it is harmless. It seems to do it a little more when going over rough terrain but it does not effect the way the machine runs and thats all that I care. I also have a bobcat hyro walk behind and it does the ame thing I guess its just the nature of hydros with vented caps. I worried too at first but I learned Its no big deal Have you owned any hydros before and have they done this??? hope this helps, Mark

5. indruf

indruf LawnSite Member

I have owned 2 Dixon ZTR hydros before. They each had a large plastic oil tank that didnt leak.

I will double check but I dont think my GD hydrostat cap is vented. It is a solid screw in cap. If the only damage being done is an oil spill I can live with that. I just didnt want a major malfunction in the future.

6. James Froh

James Froh LawnSite Member

Hi,
    Thanks for the input apluslawn, you are correct and the hydros oil seepage is not a problem.
    Jim