Super Thrive

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Foster, Feb 26, 2002.

1. Foster

Foster LawnSite Member

You know, I see the ads about this stuff and I'm curious; if it's so great, why don't I hear about it anywhere else? Anybody use this product??

2. tremor

tremor LawnSite Bronze Member

Hi Foster,
    I guess not.
    I have experimented with it and products like it. I see no reason to use these products since they're basically vitamins. WE need vitamins so we eat plants. Plants produce vitamins so we eat plants. We don't eat what we produce.
    Products which contain actual auxins, hormones, & cytokinins are readilly available at much lower cost. Products such as Bolster, Roots, & Essential all contain at least some of these as well as some micronutients and humates.
    Watch these products marketing campaigns though. Some bio-stimulant manufacturers make some wild and ubsubstantiated (unregulated too) claims about the effects of amino acids & vitamins on plants. While plants do produce these elements, there is zero evidence the plants benefit from being treated with them. The matter is of such little significance that only a handful of states have bothered to regulate these claims.
    Steve

3. mark2

mark2 LawnSite Member

I have used Super thrive one time on golf greens. I used MultiGreen, Maxigreen, Regal Crown, and Florentine products on a regular program.

I was growing in new greens in the winter months and was looking for all the help, to get them in shape by spring, I could get.

I only used Super thrive one time and believe it or not it seemed to help improve the turf.

I do have problems with the product:

The Vitamin Institute people couldn't give me rates for this type of application.
    It's expensive.
    They are more secretive of the ingredients than Manufacturers of similar products.

I can't remember the rate we used on the greens but I know we kept it low.

Regal Crown (root growth stimulator) from Regal Chemical in Alpharetta, GA does work well. Not cheap but good roots make good plants.

4. Foster

Foster LawnSite Member

Thanks for the reply, guys. When I see the type of marketing they use, I am immediately wary. They remind me of comic book ads where the skinny guys gets sand kicked in his face and 3wks later, he is beating the bully. HA! I graduated with a hort. degree and I don't remember them saying anything about plants needing vitamins. Mabey that was the class I skipped. I tried to track down their claims (it's been slow here at work) but have had no sucess.