Super Trimec burns yard

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by khutch, Nov 19, 2006.

1. khutch

khutch LawnSite Senior Member

Did this to my own yard - which is tough to take - I have to look at it a dozen times a day! I do not know what went wrong, that is what bums me, don't want it to happen again. Any thoughts?
    Reseeded Lesco fescue blend on 9-4. Srayed Super Trimec on 10-24, backpack sprayer, .75 oz Trimec in 1 gal., .5 oz Lesco sticker, temp. about 50 F and not much above 65 F for a week. Lawn has yellowed or died everywhere sprayed. Didn't think I put it down too heavy.
    Was sticker an issue with the esters? Grass too young? Seemed to get the mature stuff too.....
    Guess I can't resseed for about 6-8 weeks? Is that because of the resiudal effect of the herbicide? Will turf paint prevent germination?

w.jpg

x.jpg

2. kickin sum grass

kickin sum grass LawnSite Senior Member

the sticker wasn't the issue. Not sure of the rate but gonna guess should be around 1 oz per 1000. so your .75 oz/gal should have covered around 750 sq.ft. per gal. So if you did not get this coverage out of your back pack than it was an over application of product per given area. Again these #'s are based on 1 oz/1000 which is just a guess for me. The label should tell you how many oz/1000 and then you need to know how much your back pack sprays to figure this out.
    Thats my first guess, second the grass need to be mowed a couple times beofre being sprayed to harden it off.

3. Shades of Green LService

Shades of Green LService LawnSite Bronze Member

To Soon to Spray Newly Sprigged Fescue. IMO .What were you spraying after just over a month ( 9/4- 10/24)

4. Shades of Green LService

Shades of Green LService LawnSite Bronze Member

Never mind, Just saw the Pics. Looks Like Bed straw or carpet weed. I would have sprayed Prior to seeding, about a month before

5. ACutAboveNC

ACutAboveNC LawnSite Member

It is recommended to allow 3 mowings before you spray any chemical on any newly sowed grass. So....(depends on when you fertilized and how much water the turf recieved) but give 10 days to 3 weeks to get the grass growing and mowed for the first time and then add the 3 mowings at 1 a week... I would venture to say that the seedlings were still to young to spray and that is were you got your error and the dieing out of grass. Switch to an Ester product from Lesco. I have seen great results from the product this time of year.

6. vegomatic40

vegomatic40 LawnSite Senior Member
    from 6

The 2nd pic doesn't look so bad and may recover with time, but, if you are seeing damage on mature turf as you stated it may not. You may try activated charcoal in the damaged spots to help stop any residual effects. If only a few areas, I would consider cutting out and re-sodding vs. seeding at this late date even in Atlanta.
    As for the reason why? With both mature and immature turf injured it almost has to be over-application. That is if you have ruled out contamination with another herbicide left in the sprayer. I generally wait a minimum of 4 mowings before I feel safe in applying herbicides to new-turf after germination. Even then, I stay with Amines and avoid Esters until the next spring. They are certainly slower but can be a bit kinder to new-turf. Have you tried calling your local Gordon's rep. to see what they think?

7. ThreeWide

ThreeWide LawnSite Bronze Member

Since you sprayed it six weeks after seeding, maturity of the seed probably is not the issue. I have sprayed numerous lawns at that similar stage this Fall with no problems.

Your application rate seems fine as well.

Looking back at the weather, we had temperatures in the mid 70s for 3 days within a week after you sprayed. It is possible that those temps caused the ester to become overactive. Either that or there was some other herbicide residual in your sprayer.

This is the high temp data from Duluth, GA

Oct 24 53.4
    Oct 25 57.9
    Oct 26 65.8
    Oct 27 64.3
    Oct 28 62.0
    Oct 29 71.9
    Oct 30 75.7
    Oct 31 66.8
    Nov 1 76.8

8. naughty62

naughty62 LawnSite Senior Member
    from iowa

Amine may have been a better choice for new grass. With cooler soil temps, little things like recent hevy rain or irragation,shade or lawns containing acidic leaf litter such as oakleafs and pine needle can put a herb or fert. app. over the edge.

9. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Super Trimec even with wetting agent never injured any grass I sprayed even at much higher temps and mixed with fertilizer. I don't think the grass is too young. Was mixing and agitation adequate?
    About picture number two. How did you get a round circle of dead grass?
    Wouldn't you arm be moving back and forth as you moved across the grass? Any burn marks should reflect your nozzle moving back and forth as you covered the whole lawn. You should see a zig zag of pattern in stripes where you walked at 6 feet intervals.
    But of course--probably you didn't cover the whole yard with one gallon--did you? It looks to me like you spot sprayed individual weeds. Is there a dead weed in the center of each brown spot? Much more difficult to get the right amount. Did you spray down close--nozzle at 4 inches high--or more like 18 inches high? (6 times more concentrated.) Did you squeeze the trigger for a half second or 2 seconds? Are you sure the sprayer was clean? Any Roundup in tank? Sometimes Roundup can remain inside the pump even through the tank itself is clean. In which case the first few spots will be the most severe.
    Are you sure nobody put some old Roundup in the wet agent bottle--Supertrimec bottle?
    Calibrate your equipment using water on cement--see how much one gallon actually covers. Then mix accordingly.

10. teeca

teeca LawnSite Bronze Member

got a question for you... you say you seeded fescue, not a problem. you live in georgia, what type of grass did you have before? was it a warm season grass? if so that could be what you killed. the lable on super trimec specied cool season. other esters specify cool season and warm season. warm season to be treated after it goes dormat unless turf damage can be tolorated. just a thought