super walk-behind

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by gplank2003, Sep 22, 2006.

1. gplank2003

gplank2003 LawnSite Member

Iv'e got a 54" 25hp super walk-behind and i was wondering what the best set-up was for tall fescue in eastern tn? Because the side discharge is just not working to many clumps of grass left behind.Was wondering about how well mulching might do.

2. ChadsLawn

ChadsLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

What kind of blades do you run? I dont know much about that type of grass. But High lifts should help with the clumps. What Brand is that mower?

3. gplank2003

it's got stock blades. hustler super walk-behind. the discharge chute is very small to that dosen't help. was wondering if a mulch plate and different blades might help. how well do they mulch in damp conditions if it left a line of grass behind like most mowers do.

4. TriCountyLawn

TriCountyLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Depending on the year of your deck Hustler may have a solution for the small deck opening. A OCDC will not do much in terms of mulching, it will leave clumps on the right side of the deck.

When we switched to High Lift blades on our Hustlers it made a big difference in how well the mower discharged clippings. Now granted we are in a different area so we have somewhat different turf conditions.

Your could also try running double blades, I know with the extreme growth that has came this month we have been running gators and highlift's. This will change your cutting hights around some but lift and discharge will not be A problem.

5. gplank2003

anyone else have anything on this

6. gplank2003

does anybody mulch with this mower?

7. ed2150

ed2150 LawnSite Member

There is a modification to enlarge your discharge opening that will help tremendously with the clumping.....post a message in the Hustler forum and PJ will help you with it.

8. gplank2003

ok thanks i will

9. dcramer

dcramer LawnSite Member

I use Gator blades on my John Deere 36inch WB. When I use highlift blades it makes me dump more. Only thing about Gator blades it cuts the grass finer so when i use my medal bagger it is super heavy to dump.

10. sawman65

sawman65 LawnSite Senior Member

garry every one of those i sold had problems with clumping we even put a smaller pully on to up the blade speed and it did not help tell jerry to call ken and see if they have it figured out yet.i had to trade one of those back in on a ferris and lost my butt. but the customer was happy. that is what counts.