1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Super Walk Behind

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by Clay, Apr 1, 2003.

1. Clay

Clay LawnSite Member

I live on the Oregon coast where we a combination of rye/bentgrass that gets very thick and is almost always moist. I am tired of always being underpowered and am considering a 48" super w/b with a Proslide...

The weight is a big consideration as the objective to the walkbehind vs my Z is for the soft conditions and tearing turf. While the weight of the super's are a lot, with the larger tires can you give me a psi for ground pressure as compared to the others???

And does the Proslide work well with the Hustler???

I would also think that the lower blade tip speed on the 48 would produce greater torque... correct??? So doubles would work fine?

Thanks, Clay
  2. Bruceslc

Bruceslc LawnSite Member
    from 6

I run a pro slide with my 37" wb. Works good but could use weights up front to keep front down. A 48" should be big enough to keep the front down.
  3. JLC

JLC LawnSite Senior Member
    from IA

I've got a ProSlide on my Hustler and they work good together. No complaints.
  4. Clay

Clay LawnSite Member

Thanks guys for the responses... always good to get the low down from others in the trenches.... :)

Any thoughts PJ on the ground pressure and turf tearing?

Thanks, Clay
  5. Artman

Artman LawnSite Member

I checked with our director of engineering and he said that the psi of the tires is fairly close to the ground pressure (duh, when you think about it, that makes sense). The difference is how far that pressure is spread or the "footprint". Larger tires would produce a larger footprint and better floatation.
  6. Doc Pete

Doc Pete LawnSite Gold Member

If you are getting the Super WB, the tires are great and will offer the best chance of "not" hurting the grass. FYI, it's the edges of the tire are what tear things up, which why Hustler is going to a rounder edged tire and super WB. As you can see my "pro Hustler", is basically what the new super WB's will be. I've been running this machine for over a year, with the 20" softy tires. With this combo you can "true zeroturn" with a velky, and not hurt the turf. Also, with either the regular or Super WB having a really wide tire, both models are very easy on the turf.

p1220037 lawnsite.jpg