Super Z ( 25vs27hp kaw, Bac-Vac system)

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by cbmoore, Jul 5, 2004.

1. cbmoore

cbmoore LawnSite Member

Background info: Cut ~5-6acres of grass on the family land and looking to add some extra work(jobs) so I need a better/faster mower.
    I am looking at purchasing a Hustler Super Z mower with 60" deck, and have a few questions.
    1) I am looking at the 25hp Kaw and the 27hp liquid cooled Kaw
    can someone give me the pros/cons of each?
    Will the addition of the waterpump and gearbox(due to horizontal shaft) use the extra 2 hp? Will I be able to notice a power difference will cutting or using the bac-vac system.

2) I am looking for some imput/personnal experience with the bac-vac system. The dealer in my area has never used the this system before. Also looking for pros/cons

2. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

I have the Super Z 60" with a bac-vac unit and a 25 HP Kawi.Its underpowered. Even in heavy growth with out the vac on, its still underpowered. Get the 27 HP or larger.

The main reason I bought the Hustler was for the bac-vac unit. It was the only brand on the market at the time that could be removed for side discharging and replaced by one guy. The vac unit works great but its expensive to maintain for the high wear parts of a vac system.

Gene

3. cbmoore

cbmoore LawnSite Member

What are the high wear items on the Bac-vac system.
    Wouls you recommend the 27 liquid cooled Kaw or the 28HP Kohler?

Thanks,
    Brian Moore

4. gene gls

All the parts from the mower deck to the hopper are "high wear" items. The better the quality of lawns you mow, the longer these parts will last. The more your machine bounces over rough ground, the faster you will see excessive wear on some parts.

I would go with the 28 Kohler. I will never buy anything with a Kawi engin in it again.

Gene

5. cbmoore

cbmoore LawnSite Member

What king of problems have you had with the Kaw.
    I was concerned with the Kohler build quality.

Thanks,
    Brian Moore

6. superman

superman LawnSite Member

I agree with Gene on the under powered part, but not on the Kohler. I do find myself wishing I had more power. I can't come up with any complaints about my Kawi though. If I had to do over I would but the biggest liquid cooled Kawi they offer.

7. cbmoore

cbmoore LawnSite Member

I spoke with the mechanic at the dealer and he suggested that I stay with a kaw. He said the EFI was sensitive moisture and was expensive to fix. He also questioned the power gained from the 27kaw due to water pump and gear box eating up hp from internal friction and drag of the water.

Any suggestions from the list??

Thanks,
    Brian Moore

8. gene gls

I haven't had any engin problems, yet, other than loose nuts, bolts, and the oil pressure sending unit keeps loosening up due to viberations. The wire gaurd on the top of the engin keeps braking where it bolts on to the housing. I had my welder add some extra wire material for more strength last time around. I think the Kawi engin is tweeked to the max. Its very sensitive to the air filter getting dirty and I can notice a differance between the running on a heavy air day verses a dry air day. Kawi parts are more expensive when the time comes.

I would agree with your mechanics view about the L/C.

I have friends with 26 and 28 HP Kohler EFI engins that have had no engin problems and they use less gas.

I just got my Super Z back from the dealer today,2 weeks this time. They replaced the left pump and wheel motor and 2 more spindle bearings.That makes 6 spindle bearings sence last Sept. This makes 3.5 weeks at the dealers already this season for repairs and we still have 4 months to go.

Gene

9. yardman1

yardman1 LawnSite Senior Member

I have got the 28 efi and it is awesome, I have not had a problem with moisture at all, Mine gets a bath every sunday and no problems yet.

10. cbmoore

cbmoore LawnSite Member

Thanks for all the help. I am familiar with EFI systems on Fords and the Kohler uses the same Bosch closed loop system, just in a
    simplar set up. I know the components can be made to withstand vibration and moisture, but can be very expensive to replace. $400-600 to replace a computer for a mower is alot of money.

I guess I need to decide if I want a simpler engine (possibly under powered) or a stronger engine with more costly maintenance.

Thanks again for all the input. Please keep the suggestions coming. I am picking up a demo Super Z( 25 Kaw) with bac-vac this afternoon.