Super Z 27/60 vs. Kubota ZD 21

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by Lawn Ranger 13, May 4, 2004.

1. Lawn Ranger 13

Lawn Ranger 13 LawnSite Member

I need some help. I'm very interested in upgrading in mower and I'm considering the Super Z 27/60 or the Kubota ZD21. Can I get some feedback on both machines good and bad. Hopefully there are some readers that have had experiences with both mowers and could also give me some feedback. Thanks for the information and keep up the good work.
  2. MacLawnCo

MacLawnCo LawnSite Bronze Member

-21 or 27 hp?
    -15 mph?
    -2yr complete waranty?
    -PJ tech suport?

I think the choice is obvious
  3. mowerman90

mowerman90 LawnSite Bronze Member

The only experience I've had with the Kubota was at a trade show field event where I got to zip around on it for a few minutes. It is a nicely made machine. I own a Super Z w/27hp 52"mulching deck and can verify that it will absolutely blow the pants off of anything Kubota makes. Go demo one. You won't believe how productive this machine is.
  4. specialtylc

specialtylc LawnSite Bronze Member

Do a demo of both. I have had my Kubota for 2.5 years now. I think its got a lot of very usable and needed features. I used a Hustler 60in Z for a month last spring and it mows just as good as any machine out there on level turf. But it doesnt have more power than a 21hp diesel. The Hustler Super is faster but I have yet to see anyone mow at 15mph. And know that Kubota builds there mowers to the same quality specs. as its tractors.

JACOBSDADDY LawnSite Member
    from KY

I too am trying to decide between the super z and the kubota.
    I demo'ed a super z and liked the cut very well, but it seemed to get bogged down going up hills, on level or down hill it was great, but you would have to be on a golf course green to be able to take advantage of the 15mph. Cant get a dealer to let me demo a kubota locally. I have found an 03 demo unit a couple hundred miles away with full three year warrenty for 7800 bucks, only thing is it has the stamped deck. What do you guys think?
  6. imograss

imograss LawnSite Senior Member

Demo both...................................and then go get the Super z (I have the 27/60 Super)
  7. theservicingdealer

theservicingdealer LawnSite Member

If Power is what you want and fuel efficenty a better set up is the super 28 EFI. The unit is a step above the 27 kohler. If you want a diesel just wait until late august. Then you really won't want a KUBOTA!

We have a unit in the moutains of Vermont with a EFI and the customer says he sees a big difference.
    The controls are unmatched to any unit on the market. I dare you to put both on real hills and see the diiference.Drive them and see the difference. The Super z will walk away smiling!!:)
  8. specialtylc

specialtylc LawnSite Bronze Member

Mine has the stamped deck. It cuts great and discharges the grass much better than the Hustler , especially in wet conditions. And they have a kit for the stamped deck to add the pivoting anti scalp wheels for less than $150. I put them on mine this year, they really work good. And like I said before, not many places you can mow faster than 10 mph. $7800 for the Kubota is a real good deal. You will love a water cooled diesel. If aircooled was so good they would still be making the VW Beatle.
  9. yardman1

yardman1 LawnSite Senior Member

I totally agree, I own a 60"/ 28efi and that thing rocks...

JACOBSDADDY LawnSite Member
    from KY

I talked to my local Kubota dealer this morning and he said to steer away form Kubota if you are going to use it on hills. He said it is very hard to hold due to the low pressure drive system. and also the rear end doesn't get the traction of the other designs, says it tends to slide on the hills sideways and that if you mow up and down, it wont hold itself back very well going down. He said if your realitevely level it is supper, but watch it on the hills.

Any comments?