Super Z 54" vs. Gravely 252M

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Zachy1025, Mar 9, 2008.

1. Zachy1025

Zachy1025 LawnSite Member

From what I can tell from my other thread, it is a bit unfair to compare the Mini Z with the Gravely 252m. So if the correct comparison is the Gravely 252M with the Super Z, which is the better? They have quoted the Mini Z with 19hp Kohler for $6599 and the Gravely 252M (25hp Kohler) @ $6799.00. I have no idea what they would quote a Super Z XR-7, but I'm sure it would be $7550+. I really don't won't to go over $7k? So which should I purchase?

2. Tider6972

Tider6972 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Alabama

Is that price on a brand new 07 or 08 252M ? If so, that seems to be a good price, especially if it's an 08.

Bottom line, you need to demo both mowers on familiar properties - I like to ave both mowers available at the same time.

The SuperZ is likely to cost you more money up front. Try the 28EFI engine and you'll be sold!

3. FIRESCOOBY

FIRESCOOBY LawnSite Senior Member

I just sold my Mini-Z 52/19 last week. I wouldn't have another. Not enough motor and cut quality is sub par IMO.

4. Tider6972

Tider6972 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Alabama

Right, 19 HP is very underpowered for ANY 52" deck; the manufacturers only hurt themselves by offering that combination. They will say they do it because of price sensitive customers, but everyone suffers for it.

5. Palmer'sLS

Palmer'sLS LawnSite Senior Member

last year i was quoted 9500 for the super z 54" xr-7. I will never own another hustler that doesnt have the xr-7 the decks on the minis just dont have enought suction

6. Zooropa93

Zooropa93 LawnSite Senior Member

I'm not a Hustler dealer anymore, but still am a Gravely dealer and you're right about the XR-7, It would go over that. I think the last Super Z I sold was for $9099 but it was a 60" w/27Kohler, so take a few hundred off for the 54" deck and maybe a few hundred off depending on engine size. As for the Gravely, there are 252M and 252M XDZ models available. The non XDZ has 12cc pumps and the light duty suspension seat and the standard Kohler filter, the XDZ 252M has 21cc pumps, suspension seat, and the cannister style air filter. It also has engine options of the 27hp Kawasaki, and 26hp LC Kawasaki. (the 252H only comes in XDZ anduses the 30hp Kohler). The price you got on the 252 seems decent to me.

7. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

Since your a gravely dealer and out of my area would you be willing to tell me what a good deal on a 160Z with 25hp Kohler would be? My local dealer told me $6899 and another dealer 30 minutes away quoted $7800 for the same mower. If that guy got a quote of $6799 for a 252 it sounds like I should be able to get the 160 for less? My local dealer told me $7500 for a 252 non XDZ.

8. Zachy1025

Zachy1025 LawnSite Member

What is a Gravely 152 XDX M 25hp. The local dealer said he could get this as well, and it may be better suited for my wallet and my circumstances. He said it was a 2008 XDZ series mower, the only difference b/n this and a 152XDZ is that the 152 xdx M has a 25hp Kohler and it does not have the suspension seat. He said all of the other specs are the same (x-factor deck, 250lb Ogura clutch, hydro etc). Is this correct? I am a little concerned as he seemed to backslide on his pricing for the 252M. Assistance would be helpful. Thanks

9. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

Hmmmm I havent heard of that one yet. Gravely hasnt updated the website with the new mowers yet this year. They brought back the 160Z this year and its not on there site so I guess its possible he is telling you the truth. Why dont you call gravely directly and find out if what he is telling you is the truth?

10. Zooropa93

Zooropa93 LawnSite Senior Member

To the best of my knowledge there are no 152's with a Kohler this year. The only 100 series unit with a Kohler is the 160M which has the 25hp Kohler. Something sounds a bit fishy as all XDZ Gravely's have a suspension seat. It sounds like he might be describing the 160M with the 25hp kohler, as it has no suspension seat as mentioned, but it has a the 200ft/lb clutch that the non XDZ 200 series units have. The 250ft/lb clutch is only on 100 and 200 series XDZ units.