Super Z 60" 28 hp EFI

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by Trouthead, Jun 21, 2006.

1. Trouthead

Trouthead LawnSite Member
    from Wyoming

My mower arrived yesterday and I managed to cut approx 1 acre in under an hour. This is my first zero steer and I was going pretty slow. Took a while to get used to but I did manage to trim around approx 15 trees and numerous other items. Great cut on some previous poorly cut long grass. Unbelievable to someone who has only used a regular lawn tractor. So fast I don't think I ever got it up to full speed. Never a sign of bogging down and although it is overkill I love it.

2. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

Sweet !!!
    Welcome to our big family !!
    Wait until your used to running the mower, you will be even faster.

Pj

3. puppypaws

puppypaws LawnSite Fanatic

Some may consider it overkill but that is just an opinion and you know they are like, rear ends everybody has one. I'm glad you can afford it get what you want because you only have to please yourself, with the 28 efi you will be more impressed each time you operate it. I was cutting very big thick junk grass yesterday and the 28 never changed sounds of course I had to slow down to about 10 mph which is as fast as the other commercial mowers will run except for the Dixie Chopper. You will love that mower and I'm glad you could afford the efi because you only go around one time and you may as well enjoy it. Make sure you let us know what you think once you get the feel of operating the mower.

4. Trouthead

Trouthead LawnSite Member
    from Wyoming

Yep it is overkill, but I really like good tools, and with anything powered, too much horse power is just enough. I'd like to be able to give a more complete report, but basically I cut the grass, it looks good, and the mower worked fine.

Zero steer is wierd to get used to, but by the end of the cut I was weaving in and out of trees, not as fst as a pro but fast enough for a rookie.

The quality of cut is head and shoulders above my last lawn tractor, a White.
    Basically for the last 20 years I have not fertilized my lawn because the one time it did it would take a ridiculous amount of time to mow it. I fertilized yesterday after cutting it. Hopefully it will look like a lawn is supposed to.

I do retire in two years, and a buddy who is already doing lawn service would like a partner, looks like I have the eguipment.

I expect to die broke, so hopefully the one time I get to go around will be fun. It has been so far.

5. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

One of my dealers advised against the efi. Hustler are you having many issues? What about the new 30's, they may use a little more gas but may be easier to work on(hopefully the new ones have the carb problem fixed). I guess what I'm asking is in the long run are you better off with the carbs or efi. Is efi expensive to work on if there is a problem? I know cars can set you back several hundred dollars if a computer goes out. That's a lot of gas. Sorry for the long question but it's important. I think my next mower will be a Hustler but I'm taking my time and trying to make a good choice.

6. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

We are having no issues with the EFI.
    Some other MFG's had issues with the older 26 EFI, we never used that engine so we have had no problems.
    EFI is just modern technology, and unfortunately some dealers are resisting this technology, although its 1980's EFI technology, not very complicated.
    Of course there are some extra components on the EFI and you could have some added expense, I don't think you would see more repairs or added expense, this is a proven reliable engine.
    The 30's have seen a bit of bad press, but there is a update to take care of the problem, so I wouldnt be hesitant to get that engine either.

Pj

7. tacoma200

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!

8. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

Just curious but which dealer advised you not to get the efi?

9. tacoma200

I really don't want to get the dealers involved but Central equipment in Lexington which sells several brands but not Hustler.. And a Hustler salesman in Danville who seemed knowledgable about the product. Maybe this is still a reputation problem from the older 26 efi?