Super z 66 or 72/??? Engine

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by risdaone, Jun 11, 2006.

1. risdaone

risdaone LawnSite Member

I'm looking to buy a Super z Xr-7 72'' deck. I see here a lot of guys have the 66''. What's the advantage of 66 over 72? Also which engine is needed to run these big decks effectively at high speeds/grass? I was going to go with the Kal 25 or the Kohler 27. I keep hearing the Kohler 28 efi is the way to go but it is a lot more money. I have a 20 acre lot to mow weekly and I'm looking for the best buy and long life from the unit. My lot is mostly flat with gentle rolls. I do want to conserve gas and time but also be cost effective. I thank anyone that has any suggestions.

2. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

The 66" is less money than the 72" it also will fit in areas the 72 wont and is less prone to scalping in areas the 72 might.
    As to the engine, I would get the most hp you can afford, the 28 EFI or the 30 Kohler would be my choice, but if your saving money the 27 will work also.

3. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

I'll add my two cents worth.

If your mowing a 20 acre lot weekly then i'd definately recommend that you go with the 72. As for the engine the 27 Kohler would be fine for the 66 but on the 72 I think it would be slightly underpowered if your wanting to mow weekly growth at a high speed. If you want a cost effective machine then get the 28 hp efi. This engine would be more well suited for the 72 deck and would pay for itself with the fuel savings. The 30 hp engine would cost less than the efi but would burn a lot more gas so it would cost you more money to run.

Hope that helps.

4. puppypaws

puppypaws LawnSite Fanatic

If you can average 12 mph the 72" deck will cut 0.73 acres and hour more than the 66" deck and if you don't get the 28 efi and ever get a chance to cut with one you will be sick of the difference it can make over what you have.

5. risdaone

risdaone LawnSite Member

I thank all of you guys. I would like the 28 but at $1000 more and the expense of servicing if something fells makes me lean towards the 30. I have a demo with a 66/30 super z next weekend. For the little money difference, I'm leaning towards the 72/30 super z with flex forks. I'll let you all know how it goes.

6. D and H Seasonal Services

D and H Seasonal Services LawnSite Member
    from SE, Pa

I was told today that (kohler) is having some problems with the 30hp engine

7. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

I demo'd a 30hp Kohler on a 60" Lazer and wasn't impressed at all. These big pumps suck power. You'd need the 28EFI for a 72" for sure. Maybe if they get the 30hp straightened out it'll be OK....who knows.

I'd like to see some bigger HP engines in the big deck SuperZ's. When you dump those sticks, the RPM's really take a dump too!

I think Hustler Skunk Works is working on some higher powered units as we speak....

8. risdaone

risdaone LawnSite Member

Thanks for the heads up. I talked to my local Hustler dealer that is also a Kohler dealer and he said there were some carb problems in the earlier units but it was fixed. I talked to the Mi Kohler rep as well and he said he wasn't aware of any problems but if any evolved Kohler would stand by there product.:confused: I will pay close attention to the 30hp on my demo unit any see if it is any different than the 27hp demo I had .

9. DaveVB

DaveVB LawnSite Member

D and H, any more info on that 30hp Kohler problem? I have one on my 72" Toro, that I am not satisfied with. Especially after running a 72"-27hp Kaw.
    My dealer has no info he is willing to share.

10. puppypaws

puppypaws LawnSite Fanatic

I am just giving a comparison and I don't know how much more the 72" deck would be but I promise you would be a lot more satisified with the 28 efi. My dealer sells the 28 efi 66" XR-7
    for $8999.00 and the same mower with the 30 hp Kohler he sells for $8499.95 so this is only a $500.00 difference and not the $1000.00 you were talking about. I know the 30 hp Kohler will burn at least 30% more fuel and I promise you will feel like you have probably the same power as the 28 because of the fuel injection. I certainly hope you want let $500.00 stand between you and a engine I know you would be more satisfied with. I talked with a representative of Kohler at Chesapeake Engines and he verified exactly what I said that there would be 30% on fuel savings and the 28 would actually feel as strong but more responsive than the 30 because of the fuel injection.