Super Z Blade Experience

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by Axl, Feb 3, 2005.

1. Axl

Axl LawnSite Member

For those of you who have tried several different blades at different times of year, what seems to be the best blade(s) for the Super Z in the spring when grass is thick and wet. By this I mean which keeps the deck the cleanest in terms of clogging.

If someone felt so inclined to do so, a Blade schedule by season would be greatly appreciated.
    Example: I live in Michigan. Spring:High Lift Single, Summer:DoubleCombo High lift/gator, Fall:same as summer sometimes double gators
  2. Riggs

Riggs LawnSite Member

I own the supermini z 24/52. I have tryied gator blades, standard, high lift, and doubles. I found the all around blade is the single high lifts. They give you the most discharge without clogging like in wet conditions. Gators are nice for nice rich grass but if you have any crap crappy grass it will not proform that well. Doubles are great with dry grass they probley double or triple the discharge but if the grass is wet it will be like hell trying to get the job done. I recommend single high lifts for all around performance. Also what I have found that also works is sharping your blades all the way down to the bolt meaning insted of the edge being sharp at the ends of the blades sharping them on each down to where the bolt would be. this solved my problems of having that little strip of grass not cut. I do this with a bench grinder. This is the same set up as the exmark blades. they have the edge going all the way to the bolt. That's were I got the idea.

Hope this helps
  3. markindetroit

markindetroit LawnSite Member
    from detroit

I live in Michigan also, and bought my Super Z last summer. I am going to buy the mulch kit and blow out kit this spring. I am thinking about double blades but so far I haven't gotten a concenseus on which is the best overall set up for this area. I think I am going to try High lift over gator blades and see how that works.

I just didn't like the fine discharge and getting the stuff in my eyes and such, even with glasses, so I am hoping the mulch kit and blow out kit will reduce this problem. I also bought a pair of snow blading goggles to help prevent the cuttings from getting in my eyes and prevent the fogging I got with other types of goggles. The stuff I cut is just field grass right now so I am not concerned with cut quality right now, just getiing through the stuff in both wet and dry conditions.
  4. Axl

Axl LawnSite Member

Finally!! Thank you that helps alot and I will definitely try sharpening the entire blade.