Super Z blade roar

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by goatman, Aug 10, 2006.

1. goatman

goatman LawnSite Member

I purchased an 05 (new) Super Z 52"/25hp Kaw about 3 months ago and I
    have nothing but positive things to say about this awesome mower, however,
    this is just one thing I'm having an issue with and that's the loud roar of the
    Fusion blades. Recently I removed the blades, cranked the machine and
    engaged the PTO - all was quiet. I then checked the blades just to make
    sure they were balanced and installed the left blade, cranked machine, engaged PTO - still no objectionable noise level. Did the same with center
    blade (left blade still on) - again noise level acceptable - then - I installed
    the right blade (blade nearest discharge chute) - WOW - roar out the roof!
    It's not a vibration - it's a roar that penetrates my foam ear plugs and over
    the ear hearing protector baffles. Is this just the nature of the beast or do
    I have a situation that needs to be addressed? FYI - I owned a Super Mini
    Z 19/52 and never had this problem. Thanks to all for your input.

2. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

Sounds weird to me, I mow with a XR-7 60" and don't think its overly loud, but I am not on a mower 6 to 8 hours a day either.
    I think you are just hearing the roar of the air flow, does it make less noise when you are in the grass?
    Let me know, because I will bring this up with our guys in Kansas.

Pj

3. puppypaws

puppypaws LawnSite Fanatic

I mow with a 66" XR-7 deck and I have had several Super Z's, I had fusion blades on a 2004 and they came on my 2005 but the minute I started mowing with the new 66" XR-7 I said to myself this thing sounds like a helicopter turned upside down it was very loud to the point I wear the Peltor protection with music and they do a wonderful job but I really don't know which hurts your hearing the most the mower noise or the loud music. I have shot a lot all of my life including 155 howitzers without ear protection (stupidity) and I can't half hear anyway.

4. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

Funny, my XR7 is quiet compared to the Ultracut.

5. puppypaws

Has the Ultracut got a lot of suction, what do you think makes it so loud. My XR-7 has a lot more wind turbulence than my other Super Z decks and the suction and discharge seems stronger, I was cutting thick Bermuda the other day and I was estimating it to be throwing the clippings 15 to 20 feet.

6. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

Ultracut got lots of suction.? You bet. It almost like a back pack blower when cleaning up parking lots. Thats what is taking me so long to get used to the XR7 which has less suction/lift. Whole different philosophy in deck design. The XR7 seems best suited to rigid grass. It definately has less build up than the Ultracut and slices tall grass without the motor lowering rpm's. Just not as smooth a cut. I'm sure all that airflow is where the noise is coming form on the Ultra cut and thats why it surpised me that the other guy thought the XR7 was loud.

7. puppypaws

My XR-7 is louder than the other Super Z decks I have owned, mine will get on your nerves without ear protection. You did not say if your mower would run the tanks completely empty or will it run out when there looks to be 3 or 4 inches in the site gage.

8. goatman

goatman LawnSite Member

My Super Z came with Fusion Blades - Do you think if I were to change to
    Gator Mulchers it might "tone-down" the roar under the deck. Any of you
    done this and, if so, have you noticed any difference in the sound?

As a last resort, I've ordered a Mag-1000 blade balancer. After doing a little
    research I've learned that because a blade is new that doesn't necessarily
    mean it's in balance. While those $3.98 static balancers might indicate a
    blade is in balance I'm not convinced that it is and when they're turning at
    the high rate that they are, even one thats out of balance by the smallest
    margin can create a big vibration or roar at full throttle.

Sorry to beat a dead horse! Many thanks.

9. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

Not sure really, never tried them.
    I don't even notice it being louder than any other deck out there, in my case.

10. goatman

goatman LawnSite Member

Just an update on my ongoing effort to try and control the loud blade roar
    thats coming from my 52"/25hp Super Z. As a last resort I bit the bullet and
    ordered a Mag-1000 blade balancer - it arrived yesterday. I pulled off my
    Fusion blades, which I had earlier balanced with my $4 static balancer, and
    rebalanced them with the Mag-1000. Although all three blades showed they
    were balanced with my static unit, the Mag-1000 said otherwise. I rebalanced. reinstalled and my problem was solved. Instead of the loud
    oscillating roar, there is now a low hum coming from beneath the deck and
    that I can live with! While I'm not a spokesperson for Magna-Matic, I would
    highly recommend one of these units. I'm told that an unbalanced blade can
    not only rob horsepower but can shake your to death with deafening you too!
    Just my 2 cents - thanks.