1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Super Z can't decide which engine.

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by mx495, Feb 22, 2006.

1. mx495

mx495 LawnSite Senior Member
    from MO

Decided to buy a super z and i can't decide on the engine. I have had Kaw and Kohler and see them as about equal on my Ferris ztr's.

I can't decide between the following since they are so close in price:
    Honda 24 Smooth, efficient and quiet, but worried about low torque
    Kaw 25, good torque but posibly problems w/bigger kaws like coils,etc.????
    Kohler 27 don't know much about it
    Kohler 30 just seems like overkill to me???
    Any opinions or experiences with these motors.
    BTW can you tell i am a terrible decision maker.:dizzy: Too many choices!!!
  2. CutApproved

CutApproved LawnSite Member
    from NJ

If this helps at all, my dealer said he liked the Kohler when getting into the bigger engines,, I believe they also make a EFI engine too, supposed to be much more efficient.

But personally I'm looking at the SuperZ too, I've always loved Kawasaki engines ,, never any problems but you do raise a good point about the larger engines by Kaw.

I think I might go with the Kohler,, now if I can decide if I'm gonna be happy with the 52" deck on this model.
    I looked at the SuperMini Z too but I like the deeper deck on the SuperZ....

Hopefully we will get some more respones. (Great question)

I think guys are asleep on this forum... haven't seen much feedback..

PJ - WAKE UP!!! LOL LOL,,
  3. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

I would go with as much hp as you can get / afford, so I would be going with the Kohler myself.
    You never can have to much hp.
    And I have never heard someone say they wish they would of went with less hp.

4. puppypaws

puppypaws LawnSite Fanatic

I have had two 27 hp Kohlers on Super Z's and there could not be a better engine as far as I am concerned. I just bought a new 28 efi because I want to see the difference for myself in the power and fuel efficiency.
  5. imograss

imograss LawnSite Senior Member

I have the 27 Kohler, and it has plenty of power for me.
  6. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

I would go with the Kohler. More horsepower is always a plus when you get into heavy mowing conditions. If you can afford it then get the 30 hp but if not then get the 27.
  7. Soupy

Soupy LawnSite Gold Member

I have the Kohler 27HP on my 05 52" Hustler Z (not super Z) and love it. I previously had a 02 52" Hustler Z with the 23 Kawi and the 27 makes a big difference when mulching leaves.
  8. puppypaws

puppypaws LawnSite Fanatic

I was just wondering if they got the issues of the cut not being level because of the mower wanting to dip with all 4 wheels being independent suspension. I have a friend which was a Ferris dealer that had to buy back 11 of these Ferris mowers because of this problem and 5 of the mowers came back from the city of Monroe, NC. He said the Ferris mower had a wonderful ride but the cut was not satisfactory to the people that owned them. The new suspension forks I have on my Super Z are amazing and the cut with the XR-7 deck is as near perfect as a mower can be. I was just wondering if they solved the problems with the Ferris mowers dipping while cutting with the 4 wheel independent suspension.