super z chatters

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by bilelt9411, Aug 6, 2005.

1. bilelt9411

bilelt9411 LawnSite Member

I have a 28 / 60 super z. It has 290 hours on it. I broke a hydro drive belt, I replaced the belt when I went to my next yard fired up went to start off the machine chattered and hesitated before it took off. It will also do this went i start up a hill and give it more forward speed. the chattering seems to be coming from the hydro pump or belt. the belt flops when it is at idle speed and the spring hits bottom of unit. when i cut the mower off and check the tension of the belt it seems really tight. ps the mower never done this before i broke the belt

2. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

Is the replacement belt a Hustler belt?
    If so, are you sure it is installed correctly?
    Sounds like it is slipping, the symptoms really make me think this.
    What did the belt look like that broke? was it a clean break? or was it tattered?
    Check the pulleys to make sure there are no pieces of belt in them.

Pj

3. bilelt9411

bilelt9411 LawnSite Member

the belt is a hustler belt,it was tattered . I checked all pulleys nothing is still left in them. when I start the mower I have noticed the belt has alot of vibration in it so does the idler pulley.

4. mowerconsultant

Male, from Syracuse, NY

The new belt that you installed is a Hustler belt correct? I am reading your reply and I believe that to be true.
    Is the bearing in the tension idler ok? if so is the pivot arm tight?
    Let me know.
    Also, your dealer can get this taken care of, have you talked to them?

Pj

5. yardman1

yardman1 LawnSite Senior Member

I had this happen also, when the belt broke the idler arm has so much tension on it that it hits one of the pulley/fans and it bends the the the fins on the pulley. So you need to check the fins to see if they are bent. I put a bolt that will stop the idler arm from hitting the pulley if it happens again. The fins on the pulley will eat up that new belt if they are bent so watch it.

6. mowerconsultant

Male, from Syracuse, NY

Good info.

Pj