Super Z Cutting With Speed

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by puppypaws, Jul 22, 2013.

1. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

I must say maybe we are lucky but we have never had a hydro failure of any kind. Our old lazer is still all original and now has 3000 hours on it and in those 3000 hours I hate to admit this but it has had the hydros serviced twice. Now I will say that I strictly use amsoil 20W-50 which uses the best group IV and V synthetic base stocks money can buy and it is also very high in ZDDP which is one of the best anti wear additives you can get for a high sheer application. Group IV and V base stocks do not break down nearly as easy as fake group III fake synthetic oils such as mobil 1.

For me the last thing I would be worried about is the hydro system. Overall durability, cut quality and dealer support are my 3 main things I look at when purchasing a mower.

2. K&L Landscaping

K&L Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

It's my primary concern! I live in a very mountainous area of western NC and hydro failures are common, VERY common. So, the huge pumps, 3 gallons of fluid and the extended hydro warranty are a very big incentive for me. If I can get the SZ HD to cut on par with my existing Velocity + decks then I will be going yellow. If they cut like garbage, it will come down to Scag and Gravely.

3. GMLC

GMLC LawnSite Platinum Member

What kind of grass do you mow?

4. K&L Landscaping

Blue grass and Tall fescue

5. GMLC

Same as me. I have a ton of velocity and x factor pics posted showing cut quality in dry and wet conditions. Im curious how the VX4 does for you because it didnt do good here.

6. K&L Landscaping

Ugh, that's not what I wanted to hear about the VX4. It's wet more than it's dry here (seriously) and I guess that's why I love the Velocity + deck so much. If I was a smart guy, I would just go buy two Turf Tigers and be done with it. :confused:

7. Mickhippy

Mickhippy LawnSite Platinum Member

Havent you read the other SZ threads? There is A LOT of discussion about the SZ. I have vids if you want to check them out.
    Heres one from yesterday testing out a new baffle, grass was wet just below the surface. http://youtu.be/K0lNcYzbG3k

Have a look at my other vids as well. Of course my grass is probably different to yours but you might find them interesting all the same.

8. K&L Landscaping

Yikes! Double cut and it still needs to be busted up with a blower. Usually, if we double cut something with the Scag's it's pretty well cleaned up.

What kind of grass are you cutting in the video? Sure doesn't look like what I deal with here in the rain forest of NC.

9. GMLC

Here are some pics another LCO let me take of him cutting with his super Z VX4 60". These are from another Hustler thread.

http://www.lawnsite.com/showpost.php?p=4780902&postcount=178

http://www.lawnsite.com/showpost.php?p=4780905&postcount=179

10. K&L Landscaping