Super Z deck idler

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by imograss, Oct 7, 2004.

1. imograss

imograss LawnSite Senior Member

Well on the first lawn of the day I hit my PTO to engage the blades and nothing happened. I raised the floorpan and sure enough the deck idler has failed again. This is my 4th one. I just replaced it in July. I sure hope there is a redesign in the works quick.

2. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

We have changed to a new style bearing in the idler, this change took place in the last 2 months.
    Your new idler should be an updated style.

Pj

3. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

I have changed 4 of my idlers in the last 1.5 months(2 on the Vac unit) and they all look the same as the old ones. How can you tell between the old and the new by looking at them?

Gene

4. ScCo

ScCo LawnSite Senior Member

I have been through a few problems with my idler too. The bearing sitting on the threaded part of a bolt didn't make a lot of sense to me. The machine is working fine now though so I guess we'll see what develops.

5. theservicingdealer

theservicingdealer LawnSite Member

Guys
    I just got my first set of new pullies 2 weeks ago.fro the distributor.So I understand that all pullies have not been clean out of the system. To tell the difference the bearing in the idler is about 1/4 thicker. It is easy to tell the difference becuase of the pulley design. Now with the double roller bearings we should be all set!?!

6. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

It is true that there are still the older style in dealer inventories, these styles should be about gone.
    Lambert is correct in stating that the new pulleys have a bearing that is about 1/4 inch larger, you can tell the difference easily when comparing them.
    When getting them replaced be sure to ask if they are the new style idlers.

Pj

7. ScCo

ScCo LawnSite Senior Member

thanks as always for the heads up PJ. you da man