Super Z deck metal guage?

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by Tonyr, Oct 20, 2003.

1. Tonyr

Tonyr LawnSite Bronze Member

What would be the deck construction guage on the Super Z?
    Some are 7 guage, interested to know where the Super Z rates...

Also, as I never checked on demo day, I notice from a brochure I just found that the Super Z deck doesn't have a flow direction baffle inside the deck shell, the photo looks like the cut material flows around the shape of the deck walls and out, and not around an internal baffle like exmark, toro etc.

What is the benefit of this method over an internal baffle method?

And the pic shows a lip welded under the deck like a blow out baffle, but it is cut in the shape a directional baffle would be but I can't see any baffle between it and the shell, and on the middle blade looking from under clippings have to work themselves around a tight peak, the front point of the deck, then out, there looks to be quite some room in front of the middle blade to the deck shell, would this be a spot where clippings could build up under the deck?

Are these decks designed to suck the clippings up high under the deck to be processed into smaller clippings, or a deck designed to cut and side discharge with min. recutting?

Wow, what a lot of words to try to get a question out:)

Tony

2. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

Sorry for the delay in reading this, I am back in the office here for the first day, back from the Expo.
    I will get this 1 answered for you later today.

Pj

3. mowerconsultant

Male, from Syracuse, NY

Here are the specifics for the 60" deck

60" deck

Top plate 11 ga.
    Doubler (on top of 90% of the deck) 11 ga.
    Tripler at each spindle 7 ga.
    Center rear and side wrappers 7 ga.
    Bar on front and sides 1.00"x0.375"
    Box section parts 11 ga.
    To sum it up....
    11 ga. is 0.120"
    7 ga. is 0.170"
    So at our spindles we are 0.41" thick.
    If you want to round that up, you could say that 11 ga. is 1/8" and 7 ga. is 3/16", so then we would be 7/16" thick at our spindles.
    And dont forget, those spindles are cast iron !!!
    We put a lot of steel in this deck.
    This is just 1 of the reasons we can give you a lifetime warranty on the leading edge of this deck.

Pj

4. mowerconsultant

Male, from Syracuse, NY

This pic should help you understand the design of the deck a little better.
    Take a look at the box section on the front leading edge of the deck, this also doubles as our flow baffle.
    The lip you see is actually there to bolt a anti blowout kit to it.

stand1.jpg

5. Tonyr

Tonyr LawnSite Bronze Member

Wow, I remember they were solid machines from my demo a couple of months ago, but I didn't know that they were this solid!

That was very good info there p.j, very helpful, now my question of why you give amazing warrantee is answered, just a thought, apart from the obvious low centre of gravity at the engine and seat, I wouldn't be surprised if the Super Z deck is considerably heavier than other brands therefor having this weight only inches off the ground helps balance the machine and puts positive pressure on the front tyres and this could be why the Super Z has a great reputation of slope stability...

I think the heavy deck is a overlooked key to this puzzle...hmmm.

Thanks again P.J very helpful as always.

Tony.