1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

super z deck pitch

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by timmac, Aug 25, 2006.

1. timmac

timmac LawnSite Senior Member

how do you change the deck pitch of a super z? My deck is lower in the front than in the back. If i'm not correct the front should be lower. any help would be appreciated.
  2. imograss

imograss LawnSite Senior Member

The front should be around a 1/4" lower than the back, I believe. You adust it by the long threaded rods with the springs on the upper frame of your deck. Be careful though these things are sometimes more difficult than hte seem.
  3. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

Well, you uh,..............huh?
    Did you mean to say that? Just wondering, doesn't the manufacturer include a manual?
    I'm confused.
  4. puppypaws

puppypaws LawnSite Fanatic

I just thought I would try something different so I put 10 lbs. of air in the back tires and left 8 lbs. in the front and with newly sharpened blades she was cutting like a fool. I was cutting junk, Crab grass, Signal grass, bad Dallas grass with a scattering of Fescue and any kind of weed you can imagine. I was in hole 5 and it was giving a almost perfect cut, the Dallas grass had stems 18" tall and you might see 6" of one left partially cut once in a very slim while and the Crab grass was heavy moisture laden because I cut till I
    could no longer see. I was cutting lower but it was leaving a very good cut and 25% of the time I was full stick.
    I don't know how much difference 2 lbs. lower air pressure in the front would make as far as lowering the front of the deck but somebody on here probably does and it was cutting really good considering the junk it was mowing.
  5. timmac

i typed it wrong. my deck is higher in the front than in the back.
  6. MJB

MJB LawnSite Silver Member
    from Wa

You can raise the back of the deck by loosening the nut on the threaded rod in front of the drive wheel. Look at the chains and then the rod see which way you need to go to raise the back. Not that difficult . Do it the same on the other side too. But first check your tire pressure. I changed the pitch today on the job in about 5 minutes.
  7. timmac

i adjusted the pitch. i put the front 1/4 inch lower . the only problem is that my blades don't match up deck indicator now.
  8. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Did it come like that from the factory?

Most I see are HEAVILY front raked.
  9. MJB

from Wa

How far off are they from the indicator? 1/2 " ?
  10. MJB

from Wa

How much rake did you end up with after you adjusted the deck height etc.
    I'm going thru this process and ran into the same problem now my deck won't go into transport mode. But it is close on height indicator. My rake is 3/8" but I will change it to around 1/8" and see what happens.