Super Z Deck Pulley Problems

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by puppypaws, Oct 30, 2007.

1. puppypaws

puppypaws LawnSite Fanatic

I was talking with a salesman which happens to be a friend of mine today at my Hustler dealers business. He told me they had seen a great deal of deck pulley failures on the Super Z's.

Give a response to this thread if you have seen these problems, it may be more than the Super Z's but that is all he mentioned.

I got one of the parts people to bring me one of the 6" deck pulleys so I could take a look at it.

I said I can see why this could be a problem, that is a cheap bearing put in by the pulley manufacture. I told them that was easily remedied but someone would have to spend more money on a stronger bearing.

Hustler has to know there is a problem from their warranty claim records, but there probably is a great number going out just after the warranty is finished.

This is a good time for you to let Hustler know if you see a problem with these deck pulleys.
  2. 3Bladz

3Bladz LawnSite Member
    from IL

I have had 4 go bad on two of my new machines (super z's), both had less than 400 hours when they went out.
  3. puppypaws

OK, the man just started it, let's here what is happening with these pulleys.
  4. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

This is not a "new" problem. Its been discuessed before. My S/Z is a 2002 60". I quit buying Hustler pullys a long time ago.
  5. puppypaws

Yes, they had a problem and changed pulleys to a supposedly heavier one a couple of years back.

It is interesting you don't use the Hustler pulleys, tell us which one you use that is better.
  6. tshank

tshank LawnSite Member

2 at 400 hrs. Noisy, but had not failed. By the way, how 'bout that rain? 4-7 in. here. Must have been ordained by heaven. Soaked in to the point the streams hardly got muddy.
  7. Shady Brook

Shady Brook LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indiana

I have talked about this before. I probably loose 3-4 a year per machine. The pulleys look like cheep aluminum with a poor bearing design. They look inferrior to other manufacturers who use a cast iron pulley and likely a tapered bearing. Seems like a simple change could be made to rectify the problem.
  8. puppypaws

I had 4.3" at my farm and it was "God sent", we have started drilling wheat, before it was to dry to germinate the seed.

I am very concerned about the ground water table, there has never been a drought this severe in my area since they started keeping records.

The pulley would be alright if they had a good quality bearing heavy enough to handle the stress. The bearing I saw in a new pulley was very cheap looking and feeling when I rolled it on my finger. It was a bearing that should be in a light use application not one suitable for the deck pulleys.
  9. RonB

RonB LawnSite Senior Member

Mine lost the right side deck and drive idler at the same time about a month ago. 200 something hrs.
  10. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Are any of you guys with failures keeping your mowers stored outside? Or do you periodically wash your equipment?