1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Super Z Demo Results

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Simone Lawn Service, Sep 19, 2003.

1. Simone Lawn Service

Simone Lawn Service LawnSite Member

I demoed a Super Z this Wed. (just to be fair) after demoing a Lazer Z a few weeks ago. Here are some of the pros and cons that I noticed. Keep in mind I am comparing to the Lazer Z.

Standard suspension seat
    Simple design
    No tools needed to adust belts-all on chains
    Anti-scalp wheels at the back of mower-like kind of a wheelie bar
    Very fast
    Excellent warranty
    Oil cooler for hydralics
    Very big hydro pumps
    Nice cut
    Bagging system is supposed to be super fast to hook/unhook
    No flipping switches from one fuel tank to the other

I thought the regular Exmark seat was actually more comfortable (Yes, I demoed on the same properties)
    Speed seemed almost unusable to me-really too fast to be flying around a parking lot-good chance of getting hit by a car.
    Seemed to be less leg room than the Lazer Z
    Position of the steering levers was not as comfortable as the Lazer (and yes I did adjust them)
    BIG chip of paint was missing on one of the front casters. Even if it had been hit, it only had 11 hrs. on it. The exmark had 200 hrs. on it and still looked nice and red.
    The 24hp Honda was the big let down. Did a "Nice" job, but just couldn't compare with the 27hp kohler of the Lazer Z. The Honda fell flat on it's face when engaging the PTO and had a few clumps in the thick stuff. The Honda (as someone else also mentioned) backfired when shutting down, unless I let it idle for several minutes after cutting.

The Hustler did a nice job, and I wished I would have had the oppurtunity to demo a larger hp Kaw or Kohler. However, it just seemed to be lacking something. The best way I can describe the feeling I got is that (IMO) the Exmark was just more "refined". That's the only way I can think of to put it.
  2. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

My thoughts exactly.

smaller 664.jpg
  3. John Gamba

from ct

Oh i forgot to put this in. I demoed one for sale with 100 hours on it ,And thought the same things.
  4. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

I was going to check out a dealer today just to check them and their products out.They are not open on a saturday????????
    Won't be doing any business with them.
  5. rkbrown

rkbrown LawnSite Senior Member

Most dealers here are only open till noon on Saturdays.
  6. Doc Pete

Doc Pete LawnSite Gold Member

One thing is for sure, the Exmark should in every way be more refined, after all they've been making them for years before Hustler started their ZTR's. And, as you say you, comparing a 24 hp machine and a 27 hp machine is not much of a comparison.
    I too, have my issues with Hustler and their machines, but in all fairness, pointing out the Hustler's low amount of "punch" is pointless since it "does" have over 10% less horsepower.
  7. John Gamba

from ct

Hi pete :waving:
  8. DLS1

DLS1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Hey John, as soon as Hustler puts a quote from me on their web site about how great the Super Mini Z is then I too will start posting showing my island with my Hustler banner. No wait make that an EXCEL banner.

:D :D :D :D
  9. Doc Pete

Doc Pete LawnSite Gold Member

I don't know if you are joking, but I am looking for feedback on the Mini Z. How is it. I can take it if it sucks.........
  10. DLS1

DLS1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Hey Switchless, I was joking for sure with John about him having a quote from him on the Exmark site about how great Exmark is which it is a good mower but I like Hustler better.

Do a search on the Hustler forum for Mini Z and their is lots of info about it and I did buy a Super mini Z this year and it is great.
    I assume it is the same quality as your Hustler walkbehinds. The Super Mini Z has the built in springs in the seat that you can adjust for a comfortable ride.