super z frying grass

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by imograss, Aug 11, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. imograss

imograss LawnSite Senior Member

i recentlay read a thread about sunlight through certain kinds of windows was scorching the grass, and someone commented that their mower ( not shure what kind) was also scorching the grass. i thought some of my clients were getting wild with round up. i thought about it somemore and realized that everywhere there was a dead spot , is where i parked the mower to pick up sticks ect. i guess its due to its low center of gravity. you wont notice the spot till the next week that its cut, just a heads up . i didnt notice anything in lush spring growth, just the last 2 to 3 weeks. let me know if there might be a quick fix.
    thanks
    tim

2. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

Hmmmmm.......
    I am going to forward this to the experts in our service department.
    I will post any of there comments or thoughts on this.

Pj

3. DLS1

DLS1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Hey imograss, I have a mini Z. I mow one place that is a few acres in the country that has maybe 50 - 75 trees. I am stopping several times to pick up limbs and never noticed your problem.

Can you give more information about your mowing conditions like type of grass you mow, how tall is it when you park it to pick up limbs, do you have any type of spray under the deck that is used to clean the deck easy, anything leaking suck as oil plug area, do you have a hole in the muffler that you don't know about that is blowing hot air towards the ground,etc.

4. imograss

deans l.c. ,
    it doesnt seem to matter the type of grass since it has done it on my higher end lawns (fescue) or the ol weedy lawns. i dont use anything to treat the underside of the deck and the mower is not leaking anything. its just to much heat so low to the ground from the engine.

5. imograss

i posted another reply earlier but i guess it didnt go through,
    deans lawn care,
    it doesnt matter the type of grass, its happend on my higher end fescue lawns as well as the not so great weedy lawns. the spot is usually about 2'x1'. i dont treat the underside of my deck with anything, and nothing is leaking. ill take some pics tomorrow if i think about it, if the damage hasnt faded away yet.

6. DLS1

DLS1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Hey imograss, post sometimes don't show up quickly on the Hustler forum. I think all posts are looked at first by Hustler administrators before they are posted.

Back to your problem. What type of engine do have? Have you made any type of changes to the mower?

If you bough it used do you notice any type of changes that the previous owner made had done. Have you measure how close the bottom of your engine is to the ground vs. a new mini Z engine.

How long did you park the mower to pick up branches? I leave the mower running and put the park brake on and the most I leave it running is around 1 minutes in one spot while picking up branches.

I am really reaching for anything why you have the problem.

7. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

My Super Z will cook the grass also. Its like sitting on a blast furnace while mowing heavy grass.

Gene

8. imograss

the mower is new, i bought it about 2 months ago. i have the 27kohler 60" super z. sometimes i ride the z a few houses over from the truck and take the trimmer, blower ect with me. i normally would mow first park the mower ( in the lawn out of the way) the trim and blow that sometimes may be 20min or more. also if i stop to pick up sticks, talk to a customer it will also leave a spot where i was the next time i mow ( weekly) ill measure the engine to the ground tomorrow and also take some pics if the previous spots havent already recovered.
    tim

9. syncom2

syncom2 LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

I, too, am literally smoking the grass with the engine on my Super Mini Z. I have the 24 HP Honda on my little yellow rig. The silly/sad thing is, is that it took me nearly three months worth of mowing to discover why I kept getting all them brown patches up there near the garage area! Well, not only there, but that area of the lawn being burnt was a sure bet. Reason why, that’s where I blow it off with the air compressor or leaf blower after mowing. All along I thought I was burning the turf while in the turning process. It wasn’t until I had set the mower on a slight grade behind my house - in order to go in the house to fetch me a camera… that the bulb inside my noggin fired! Two days later I see this brown patch appear… BINGO! I finally had my answer! Sooooo since that time, I’ve had to pick up balls that the grandson had left laying in the grass… I stop, pick up the ball and toss it up by the house… and a day or so later on there’s my nasty lookin’ brown patch! So it really takes hardly any time at all for the engine to toast the grass.
    mb

10. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

The key here is to not stop "on" the dry grass when the unit is hot.
    Syncom, I removed part of your post due to your mention of modification of the unit, please do not modify your mower, this could cause a safety issue.
    Please e-mail me @ hustlerturfequipment@msn.com I will explain.

Thanks
    Pj

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.