Super-Z HD vs. Lazer RED EFI

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by TLS, May 1, 2013.

1. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Nice pictures!

Nice country!

Look at the difference in seat height!

Nice to see they offer fuel gauges. Still don't understand the removal of the clear front tanks. Wish they'd add a gallon or two to each side.

The muffler will REALLY burn the crap out of grass when you stop to talk to a customer now! At least it's blowing out the discharge side as to not burn pine trees as you circle them!

2. Greg78

Greg78 LawnSite Silver Member

I agree with you there. My 95 Lazer cuts great. Must be why I didn't care for the new Lazer I demoed this past year.

3. puppypaws

puppypaws LawnSite Fanatic

I am a little confused, what is the difference in my mower and the "New HD" other than the drive tires are slightly larger and you have a Grammer seat option?

How old and how many hours are on the older Super Z on your trailer? The background of what appears to be a park is beautiful.

Your wonderful EPA brought about the fuel tank change, they claimed fumes were escaping, Hustler hated it almost as much as we did.

4. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

I know the engines are no longer mounted sideways.

Greg, I like the cut on my new Lazer better than my 2001 Lazer. I like the whole mower better!

5. puppypaws

puppypaws LawnSite Fanatic

I wonder what the reason was for this, look at how aggravating it will be to get the dip stick out to check the oil, mine is directly at the back, very easy to check.

6. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Oh, and at 2.5" to 2.75", I would certainly HOPE this deck cuts everything! Cutting that low almost guarantees everything gets cut!

Most decks have issues with tall weeds when cutting well above 3"

I have a thick perfect tall fescue lawn that I'm currently at 4" now with the new Lazer. No way in hell I'd be cutting that high with my old Hustler.

The belt angle on the Hustler (XR-7) when cutting above 3.5" was scary. The older Hustlers were obviously designed to cut in the 2" range. The deck drive belt used to go from the crank pulley and head UP at a steep climb to the idler where it would then have to bend back down to accommodate the front deck pitch. I believe it was a straight perfect level shot for the belt at 2.25" or so.

7. Greg78

Greg78 LawnSite Silver Member

I bet I'd like the mower you got over my Lazer as well!!

8. mtmower

mtmower LawnSite Bronze Member

I've heard other people complain of exhausts burning grass but have never experienced it myself. Just the wheelie wheels in back are probably close to 10" from the ground. The wheels themselves are probably about 4" in diameter and the exhaust is above this yet with a heat shield which does have openings or holes in it. So I'm guessing the exhaust is a good 15" from the ground. I'm guessing the bottom of my other SZs mufflers are about the same or maybe even lower. Just not as large an area being that they're vertical. I did have it idling on a property while I was talking for a good 15 min. plus. I'll make it a point to check carefully next week when I return to see if there are any burn marks.

9. mtmower

From what I can tell the HD, which stands for "Heavy Duty" not "Hyper Drive", is a Super Z with the hyper drive system, front pneumatic wheels, 26x12x12 rear tires which also steps up the mph to 16 mph, and the suspension seat. Whether the muffler and the fuel gauges are HD specific I doubt.

The other SZ on the trailer is a '05 or '06 with around 1150 hrs.

The background in the pics is actually a HOA that was an old parade of homes which I do five properties and the entry way and all the road sides throughout for about the last eight years. The entry and roadside is where I'd sorely miss a mower like a SZ or Cheetah. Full stick probably 75% of the time. Since I seem to be the only company in my area with this caliber mower, no one can touch me on a bid.

10. mtmower

I start my season out around 2.25 and move up to 4" by high heat of the summer. I've run SZs along with an old Ferris and Encore for the last 12 years. My early standard deck SZ and once I got the add on baffles for the xr7 I've never had a problem with a clean cut at 4". It's always been the problem of the clippings I've fought. Time would tell if she'd cut clean at 4" and at what speed. Hopefully that adjustable front baffle would come in to play and make it happen.

I know what you're saying about deck belt angle but I've never had a deck belt issue and get an easy 1000 hrs. as a rule on a belt so I can't fault the system.