Super-Z HD vs. Lazer RED EFI

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by TLS, May 1, 2013.

1. GMLC

GMLC LawnSite Platinum Member

Another concern on the Hustler is the new hyper-drive. It has not been proven yet on a ZTR. Hustler has had a history of hydro problems and always claims thier next system is the best. Not saying its bad but only time will tell.

But I guess the RED has not been proven yet either. Already saw a couple posts about problems...
    Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited: May 1, 2013
  2. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Just finishing up mowing right now. I'll go deeper later when im at the computer.

As far as Hustler issues... They have either fixed or beefed up every single issue I've had. The new HD system is bulletproof. Mine had already failed by the second season. Gravely may be nice, but my dealer doesn't sell them.
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

I have quite a few issues with SCAG. TT only has a 10gal tank. Cheetah has horrible views of the deck edges. I'm not overly fond of the Velocity+ deck as far as build quality.

My dealer (who is absolutely great in every aspect) does not carry either.

I realize this. It's just that you really get a HD build from Hustler.

As I stated above, no go with the dealer.

I only cut when it's dry, so wet performance isn't as important to me.

Like I stated above, they fixed everything that broke, wore out, etc. on these new models. And if the hydro's go, they're covered for 5yr/3K hours.

4. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Do you have any links...I've been searching and found nothing. What specifically were the problems?

5. GMLC

GMLC LawnSite Platinum Member

6. Exmarkboy13

Exmarkboy13 LawnSite Senior Member

Ran both. Hustler all the way. Set the deck up right and you'll be fine. No such thing as "built to well" haha.....

P.s. ill never own a Exmark with an Ultracut series deck. They do a great job in idea conditions, but get some moisture, nutsedge, or dandillion mixed in that Fescue, and be ready to double/triple cut to eliminate the clumps. Baffled WAY to tightly......

7. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

i would go with the scag cheetah.

you get the speed of the super z and a better cut quality of the john deere 7 iron in one mower.

i've sat on a cheetah. i didn't have any problem seeing the deck edges at all. maybe you have long legs and have the seat adjusted all the way back? the back of the seat also reclines so maybe some people have it leaning too far back? i have short legs so i use mowers with the seat all the way forwards so no issues for me. :laugh:

8. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

You've ran both a Super-Z HD and an eXmark Lazer with RED?

I don't start to mow until 1pm....dew and moisture are not a problem.

9. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

I just sat on it in the showroom Tuesday afternoon. Not only did it seem to sit high, but like I said, the tanks blocked both sides of the deck. I had to lean over a good bit to see the edges.

Don't care for the cable drive, and though it does cut well, I have several issues with the Velocity+ deck.

Put an EFI on the SuperZ, lighten it up a couple hundred pounds, and address the discharge windrow and this thread wouldn't be here.

10. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

Do you have a morning job? Most days I am done and on my way home no later than 2.