1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Super Z Hydralic Oil Question

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by JLH, Sep 6, 2005.

1. JLH

JLH LawnSite Member

I have a Super Z 60/28 EFI.

The hydralic pumps are Hydro-Gear BDP21.

The owners manual recommends using 10W-40 motor oil in hydralic system.

Hustler recommends to change filter after first 50 hours, then oil and filter every 500 hours thereafter.

I want to use synthetic oil in the hydralic system. I called Hustler technical support and they told me I could use Mobile 1 15W-50. They said Mobile 1 was the only oil there engineers had approved.

I want ot use Amsoil instead of Mobile 1. Amsoil has a 20W-50, but not 15W-50. The only difference is a lower pour point on the 15W-50 (-51 degrees)verses the 20W-50 (-35 degrees).

When going from regular oil to synthetic oil why would they recommend a heavy weight oil.

Has anyone else used Amsoil in the hydralic system on Super Z, if so what weight?

2. MBDiagMan

MBDiagMan LawnSite Senior Member

When going to synthetic 15W50 you are not using heavier oil. It's just that the resistance to heat that synthetic provides allows it to operate under conditions requiring 50W oil. Synthetic weight ranges are much wider than dino oil.

I don't understand though why you would refuse to use the oil that the engineers have already tested successfully. Do you REALLY want to risk your equipment just because Amsoil is your favorite brand?

It costs lots of money to do testing such as was done with the oil. Such testing serves a purpose so why not take advantage of it?

Best of luck with it,
  3. MTR

MTR LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

Mobil 1 15-50 is the best hydrolic oil to date, not to take anything away from Amsoil. All eXmark hydro use mobil 15-50. Why don't u use Amsoil in the engine, and Mobil 15-50 in hydro? BTW, I use Amsoil 10-30 in my Kawi and Mobil 15-50 for hydro, the little 17 kawi runs like a workhorse nonestop.
    Please keep updated what hydro oil u end up with, cause I am gearing up for a Super Z sometime soon.
  4. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

Just use the Mobil 1 full syn, the hydros will last just as long with either, why spend more money where it is really not needed?
  5. JLH

JLH LawnSite Member

6. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

Amsoil in the engine would be fine, but in the hydros, use what is recommended. If the manufacturer believed Amsoil was such a wonder oil then they would have it listed and being used as factory fill and replacement fluids. There will be no gains by using one synthetic instead of another, just use mobil 1...easy to get and will not break the bank. JMO
  7. Varsity L&G

Varsity L&G LawnSite Senior Member

8. MTR

MTR LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

Hey, I use that Amsoil 10/30 turbo formulated gold label on my 17 kawi, no doubt excellent oil, but I stick with Mobil 15/50 for all hydro fluid as said by others and recommended by both Hustler & eXmark.
    You don't have to show me the link on proof and such, I know Amsoil since Vietnam war, their oil used in Huey chopper throughout operations, best oil to date. I also use on my 2stroke outboard, it really eliminate smoke and increase horsepower compared to other brands. Castrol, Pennsoil...so so, stay away from walmart oil, it is sticky and cause carb to foul up and dirty your exhaust port as well as causing piston ring sticking.
  9. South Florida Lawns

South Florida Lawns LawnSite Platinum Member
    from usa

dude I will never by synthetic. Why do you want it so bad? If your mower doesn't specify it then don't waste your money. I have worked for Caterpillar as a diesel mechanic and none of their stuff takes it, they don't even recommend it, a piece of construction equipment, marine engine or generator engine will see a harder life than any mower out there. So to that I say save the money and just use what the mower is supposed to take.
  10. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

If you want to go synthetic, follow Hustler's advice and go for the Mobil 1 15w50.
    This way, if something goes, it's not blamed on you for using the WRONG oil.

Also understand that the 10w40 dino - 15w50 synthetic situation includes one more bit of info.
    Take note that it is to be run with 10w40 & Lubrizol....
    There's your difference and if you go to the Mobil one you don't have to add the Lubrizol.

Now notice I never talked down about the Amsoil... and their 20w50 might be OK...
    But it's just not smart to reject what Hustler tells you due to warranty purposes...
    If it were me, I'd just go with the Mobil 1 15w50 in the Hustler.