Super Z Hydro fluid (first) change.

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by Mickhippy, Apr 11, 2012.

1. Mickhippy

Mickhippy LawnSite Platinum Member

Hi Pj,
    As you probably know I have the new SZ. Its due for its first hydro oil change and in the manual it says...
    "Change hydro system filter element and oil after first 50hrs, then replace filter and oil in reservoir every 500hrs thereafter."

Are they 2 different things? I cant flush the system, I can only let it drain out of the reservoir.

What am I missing?

2. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

Just drain the reservoir, make sure you do it with the plug, then once empty remove the filter cover.

Pj

3. Mickhippy

Im really glad thats all it is! Thanks

4. Downunder Bob

Downunder Bob LawnSite Member

Hey Mick I see you traded, did you go private or with Hewlett?

5. Mickhippy

Ive kept the old one for now as back up but may sell it later this year or so. Not sure what to do with it actually!

6. Sharpcut 1

Sharpcut 1 LawnSite Senior Member

You installed synthetic 15W50 oil, correct??

7. Mickhippy

I used what the dealer told me to use. I bought it from them!!! I cannot remember the numbers but it is full synthetic.

It was pretty easy to change out but the cost's to do so was unbelievable!
    Im in Australia so expect things to cost more here but still...
    $150 for the filter.
    3 x 4lt bottles of oil at approx $85/ bottle. It took around 10lt of oil to change.

Total cost, an insane... $405!!!!!!!!!:dizzy:

To have it done at the dealers would of added another $150+ to that!

The filter was on pretty tight and using a normal socket almost rounded the plastic bolt shaped thing you use to get a hold of. I luckily bought some Metrinch impact sockets and one of those worked a treat as it grabs from the middle rather then the corner of the bolt. A 6 sided socket may work too.

Its a pain working on your back as theres not much room under there. Raise the machine as high as possible to give yourself room. Car ramp height would be fine but you need to spin the wheels to get the air out of the lines. Not really sure how one could do this without a hoist or something.

Be sure your oil pan is big enough to hold up to 12lt for a bit of headroom.