Super Z hydro problem

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by JW Lawn, Oct 6, 2007.

1. JW Lawn

JW Lawn LawnSite Member

2006 Super Z 25/60 700HRS..

I was pulling my mower into the shop tonight and my left wheel started "jerking" not wanting to turn. The fluid and filter where changed at 300 and 550hrs.
    I checked belt, fluid level and tried to purge any air...Jacked it up and the wheel turns about half forward turn then locks..Never had any hydro problems before ...Any idea??? Bad wheel motor?

2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

I would say it is the wheel motor, Fluid flow or no flow wouldn't lock one up.

3. JW Lawn

JW Lawn LawnSite Member

Restrorob,
    Thats what i am thinking.....with the wheels off the ground, i can only turn the wheel a few inches forward and reverse....

4. MowerMedic77

MowerMedic77 LawnSite Bronze Member

Not saying it isn't the wheel motor, but maybe check to make sure the key on the wheel motor has'nt sheered in the hub. You will have to pull it off either way before you replace a wheel motor so easy enough to check.

5. JW Lawn

JW Lawn LawnSite Member

MowerMedic77,
    Thats a good idea..i will check that..It does seem kinda strange that the motor would go with no symptoms or warnings...

6. JW Lawn

JW Lawn LawnSite Member

I just jacked the mower up...When i turn the wheel i can feel the normal hydro resistance for about a 1/4-1/2 turn, then it hangs.....then with some pressure it releases and turns until it hangs again......Maybe its not the wheel motor..i am going start looking tonight....

7. JW Lawn

JW Lawn LawnSite Member

Well.....I give up :cry: I broke 2 gear pullers trying to get the hub off the wheel motor........The nut was easy but the hub i locked tight!!!!!!!!!!!!

8. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Well, That should tell you it's not the hub key but a failure inside the wheel motor....

9. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Are you still under warranty?

2 years from date of purchase.

10. JW Lawn

JW Lawn LawnSite Member

I believe it is ..I emailed PJ...... Hustler has always treated me very well with warranty work!!!!! Thats why we are adding another Super Z this year