1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Super Z In Heavy Grass

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by puppypaws, Apr 19, 2008.

1. puppypaws

puppypaws LawnSite Fanatic

Yesterday my 66" deck fill up with Yellow Wood Sorrel and I already knew the blades needed changing, this had to be my worst experience ever cutting with a Super Z.

This morning I snatched it up with a chain fall, I had never seen the XR-7 deck look this way, I would say the depth of the deck was 25% packed full of gummy Yellow Wood Sorrel. I took my 18 volt Dewalt impact wrench and zipped the blades off, layed a piece of thick plastic down then started cutting the layer of wet Sorrel out. I had to pull the plastic out and haul it to the woods twice because it would get too heavy to handle reasonably. I put a new set of blades on and waded into this heavy grass.

The wind was blowing about 15 mph here today with rain expected so this meant the grass was dryer than usual. I had such a bad experience yesterday I kinda forgot how good it could be. When I first started cutting this grass; I was running around 10 mph but as I got into the grass blown into the area I had not cut I had to slow down to probably 6 mph. The grass laying on top was starting to push with the scalp wheels and coming up on the deck. You will notice a good number of Dandelions and in one pass it is cut clean as a whistle and I am not just taking a little off, I am cutting it to 2 1/2" in one pass, that is a lot of grass moving out of a deck.

This is the difference in a clean deck and new blades. The day before the 28 efi was struggling, today it was like a different mower. There is no doubt a clean deck and new blades saves fuel, the engine works so much easier.

2. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

That's starting to sound more like the grass here. Just mix super glue and cow manure and that's what the clipping are like here. Sticks to everything.
  3. puppypaws

I will make a picture and show you what Yellow Wood Sorrel looks like. The drought last year thinned the grass out and this darn stuff came up as thick as plush carpet. The texture and sap just adheres to everything, I actually don't remember scraping the deck on this mower in 325 hrs. so you know this is a different animal.
  4. puppypaws

This has been cut and is small. I honestly can't understand what make this junk so aggravating, it must be that the sap inside the stem is extremely sticky. The stuff welds itself under a deck.

Yellow Wood Sorrel 1.jpg

Yellow Wood Sorrel 2.jpg

Yellow Wood Sorrel 3.jpg
  5. gravedigger5

gravedigger5 LawnSite Senior Member

I have cut this stuff before, but never had much problems. I do know how it feels to load up the deck like that, though. Mowing early morning tall thin heavy dew type grass on really dry dusty soil. deck was so full the muck was all the way down to the blades. You could see the grooves in the muck from the teeth on the gator blades were rubbing on it. Wish I had took picture.
  6. tacoma200

That stuff is mixed in with about all the lawns here. Very few have pure turf grass. It's farm country, they have different priorities than good turf. Even the millionaires may have a huge lawn they have partially cut with a tractor, or they may have black fences and cattle in front of the homes. I'm talking abut guys with plenty of money. They just don't care as long as it's cut. I see everyone posting pictures of a good cut on pure turf grass but to be honest even a Home Depot mower will do well on good turf most of the time. I have to have a ZTR deck that is not particular about what it's cutting. I think that is why the XR7 didn't work out for me. Great in Bermuda and pure turf but it didn't do well in the mixed turf. They get in their jets and fly to Nashville and back for a meal but probably never weed and feed.
  7. tacoma200

I don't know whey every ZTR doesn't have those small wheels on the back to help when crossing a ditch like Hustler. That is one thing I don't like about the Scag Turf Tiger. The back end stick out more than most ZTR's and it will hang if you try to cross a ditch head on compared to the Lazer and Super Z. It even will drag going up the ramp on the trailer if the ground is not level. But a small complaint overall. I just thought of that when I saw the wheels on the back of your Super Z in the pictures. I got stuck a few times when I first got the Tiger, I learned not to cross ditches at a 90 degree angle.
  8. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

I've been saying this a thousand times but nobody's ever jumped in the boat with me.

Hustler decks (XR-7s and the older ones) are the absolute worst in the world for wet grass or turf that holds a lot of moisture. Ryegrass in the spring, heavily fertilized fescue that's well irrigated, etc. are a nightmare with my SuperZ decks. As bad as the older deck was, they just had to add the two triangle shaped plates on the leading edge of the XR-7s. That's just creating places for the grass to start clumping up and once it starts, it snowballs into one huge mass. You can scrape it out in the field but it'll clog up again in no time.

As much as I like my SuperZs, my 7-Iron II deck on my little 717A NEVER clogs up like this, no matter what I cut or how wet it is.
  9. Meg-Mo

Meg-Mo Inactive

We have had good reports of not having that problem with the MEG MO blades/ We have a few OEM trying our blades and they are telling us the same thing.
  10. puppypaws

I am personally not very interested in my grass, except for keeping it cut. If you look at the second picture up the waterway where it starts to turn back to the right, there is going to be a clover leaf interchange built on a four lane interstate type highway going around the largest city in the area.

The state bought 18 acres from me to build this interchange. This is a limited access highway with the only development being around the interchanges, I will have to sell this property because of it's high value once it is zoned commercial.

They do this for a reason, the county wants high dollar business around the interchange, once they rezone the property to commercial the value will go to $300,000.00+ and acre, this puts you in a position you have to sell whether you want to or not because the tax would be over $20,000.00 an acre. They basically take your land for development, even with you being paid well, the county knows you cannot afford the property tax but big business can. Money, money, money is what it's all about.