Super Z Kohler 30 problem?

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by ajbkid, May 30, 2012.

1. ajbkid

ajbkid LawnSite Member

well iv been having an issue, or at least i think i have been.
    I made a video, and i hope somebody can tell me if this is common or not.
    one of the mowers is still under warranty.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xoiknsugvzc

2. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

I watched your video, not sure that is out of the norm for a Kohler.
    Have you taken it to your dealer to check out?

Pj

3. ajbkid

ajbkid LawnSite Member

no i have not, but now seeing that you and others say it is not normal, i will bring the newer mower in to the dealer.
    hopefully if they can correct it, they can tell me what the problem was and i can ix the older mower myself.
    thanks.

4. ajbkid

ajbkid LawnSite Member

oh i see, you said not sure that its out of the norm.

5. DAR57

DAR57 LawnSite Member
    from NW Ohio

Not a problem. Every Kohler I have ever owned is that way. I have a 1968 Cub Cadet 10hp Kohler garden tractor that is the same way. I had a 1971 Cub Cadet 12hp Kohler garden tractor same thing. My Hustlers have all been the same way too(I have never owned an EFI though). I dont even think twice about it anymore

6. lndscpe

lndscpe LawnSite Member

Yep thats the starting routine for all my Super Z's exactly, from when they were new to now as they have aged to over 2000 hours on 4 of them. Its not a problem. My Kawasaki 17 hp on my 42" Exmark lazer is the same starting technique also.

7. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

I don't see a problem?

You are saying that you must use the choke to start the mower... is this the issue your having?

That is exactly what a choke is designed for (starting).

Maybe we all missed something though?

8. ajbkid

ajbkid LawnSite Member

typically, the choke is used to start an engine when its cold. that's how any other engine i have had is.
    I find it very odd that if i mow for 40 mins shut the mower off and to immediately restart it, i have to use the choke.

Also, as i showed in the video, the choke must be turned of as the engine is cranking. It will not fire while the choke is on, yet will not start with the choke off either.
    this is not normal choke use in my book.

I think you missed my problem completely.

9. puppypaws

puppypaws LawnSite Fanatic

I just saw this thread and wondered if you got the problem corrected. This is not normal, you should never find the need to choke a hot engine for restart. This sounds as if the fuel is leaking back due to a check valve not keeping the system pressurized.