Super Z Mower Deck Won't Engage

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by sbailey183, Aug 4, 2006.

1. sbailey183

sbailey183 LawnSite Member

I bought a used Super Z last week with 12 hours on it. I used it without any problems for about 4 hours when the mower deck would no longer engage. The cutout switch in the seat still works. I pulled the panel to check the switch and it's still plugged in. None of the fuses are blown. Any ideas on what could cause this?

2. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

What year is it?
    Check the wires at the clutch.
    Also check the relays under the dash.
    I received your e-mail Friday am and responded to it.

Pj

3. Palmer'sLS

Palmer'sLS LawnSite Senior Member

mine did this...turned out all i needed to do was tighten the belt-tensioner:hammerhead:

4. mowerconsultant

Male, from Syracuse, NY

I mentioned the belt in the e-mail also, check the tension as mentioned above.

5. sbailey183

sbailey183 LawnSite Member

Re: tightening the belt tensioner, I'm assuming that this would mean the deck was engaging but the belt is slipping and that I would hear that. I'm not hearing anything so I don't think this is the case.

I'll check the relays again and the wires at the clutch when I get home from work tonight.

It may also be the switch itself as it doesn't feel like there's much resistance when I pull up on the knob. Is there any way to check that?

Thanks guys.

6. rock creek

rock creek LawnSite Member

sbailey183:

This happened to me twice. Both times the electrical wires connected to the PTO motor (the motor driving the blade belt) were damaged and one of the times the PTO motor had to be replaced.

Rock Creek

7. mowerconsultant

Male, from Syracuse, NY

You can check it with a voltmeter / continuity tester.