super z not starting sometimes

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by timmac, Jun 14, 2006.

1. timmac

timmac LawnSite Senior Member

Sometimes when I turn my key my mower just goes click. Sometimes it will start on the first try but sometimes i have to turn it several times to get it to turn over. The click is just 1 click not several in a row. could this be the starter or a relay? The mower only has 60 hours on it. Yesterday i had to turn it about 9 times at least to get it to turn over and start.

2. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

E-mail me and I will get you taken care of.

3. Branchland

Branchland LawnSite Senior Member

I've had this happen also. It's getting alot more frequent. I've got a 2004 super z 60/27.

4. timmac

I took my mower in last Sunday and left it this week to get one of the relay's replaced because we were going on vacation. My dealer told me that hustler was having several problems with the relay and were having to make relay kits. This relay was ordered 2 weeks ago. He told me that they didn't get to fix the problem because the part will not be in until after the 4th of july. Why so long to fix a relay? The mower was only has 70 hours on it. My dealer is Cirrus in White House TN. Thanks

5. jcbahr

jcbahr LawnSite Member

I took my started off, had it checked, cleaned etc., put it back on, same problem; click, click, click. My Hustler mechanic put a heavier wire on from my ignition switch, and now it startes every time.

6. mowerconsultant

Male, from Syracuse, NY

timmac,
    I will get a hold of our regional representatives and find out what is going on.

7. pyrguy

pyrguy LawnSite Member

I‘ve got a mini 52/20 that is doing the same thing. I just blew the second blue fuse. I’ll call the dealer on Wednesday to see what they know. Any leads????

Dwight

8. timmac

My dealer still hasn't contacted me to fix this problem. It is not starting to well. I really need this relay fixed asap.

9. mowerconsultant

Male, from Syracuse, NY

I talked to the regional service representative last week, and he assured me the parts are coming this week, I will follow up on it today.

Pj

10. mark12

mark12 LawnSite Member
    from Ar

I've got the same problem here. I had to take mine in because my blades quit while I was mowing...out of the blue. I loaded it up and took it to my dealer. He had it figured out within 30 seconds...went and got a harness and put it on for me. That was great service! I decided to mention about my problem with the starter...I had been dealing with it. Usually could get it to start after 4 or 5 attempts. He said I needed a relay installed to correct the problem. Purchased the relay and the guy in the shop told me how to wire it up...he wrote it on paper but I can not figure out his diagram, plus he wrote it down wrong the first time and then wrote over the origional with the new info which you can not understand now.. I didn't have time to leave it and didn't want to pay 65.00 an hour to have them install it. Anyone have the diagram for the relay?