Super Z not super anymore

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by matthew horner, Jul 6, 2006.

1. matthew horner

matthew horner LawnSite Senior Member

My super z is having issues. I have not yet been able to diagnose the problem.
    Basically, when I'm mowing and get into thick grass, or am going uphill mowing, the mower really tries harder than ever before. The engine just does not seem to be producing the power, or the power is'nt getting to the blades like it used to. This is the mower's 3rd season, so I'm used to what it can do. Sharp blades, tight belts, everything I can see is fine.
    Any ideas.
    60 inch 25 horse kawasaki.
    M

2. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

I have the same mower and its doing the same thing. At 1700 hours, the engin is about dead. The 25 HP is not enough engin for a Super Z 60"......

3. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

Have you checked the simple things like the fuel filter, air filter and spark plugs?
    Is it running at 3600 RPMS?
    Did this progressively get worse? or just happened one day?

Pj

4. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Spend $35 and get a tach on there!

3 seasons without an RPM adjustment? I'm sure thats your only problem.

5. matthew horner

Thanks,
    Fuel filter is relatively new, air filter is fine, and no, honestly, I did not check the plugs, but I will.
    I have no tach to check the rpms but it sounds normal at with no load.
    Can't say if it progressivley got worse. It was not sudden though. I just began to notice it from time to time in those conditions I mentioned.

6. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

Get those RPMS checked.
    Have you had the heads de-carboned? valves adjusted?

7. matthew horner

It only has 150 hours on it.

8. Ruben Rocha

Ruben Rocha LawnSite Senior Member

With only 150 hours this may not apply.
    Release the tension on your blade belts and check your belt pullys for excessive play or bad bearings in the pullys. Or cut for a while and check to see if any of them are extremely hot.(be careful not to burn yourself) I had a similar problem and even though the belt tension seemed to be fine the idler pully had a bad bearing which caused excessive drag on the belt and pulled down the blade rpm's. The motor also lugged a little in heavy grass.In fact it damaged the belt when it finally went out. I never noticed the problem untill the belt started smoking . Then of course new belt and pully solved the problem.

9. lampeslawnservice

lampeslawnservice LawnSite Senior Member

I am having same problem with my 25 at 750 hours. I'll check the RPM's asap.

10. matthew horner

what tack do you all recommend?
    Matthew