1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Super Z starter & sputtering

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by DoubleTake, Dec 10, 2012.

1. DoubleTake

DoubleTake LawnSite Member

I am having a problem out of my Super Z 27 Kohler which I think is the starter. It just clicks when I try to start it. After several trys of turning on and off, I can get it to work. Is this the starter or something else?

Also, recently while running it starts sputtering or misfiring. I replaced the fuel filter a few months ago. Could this be spark plug or something else?

2. hustlermidwest

hustlermidwest LawnSite Senior Member

It could be a bad ground, your interlock system, the starter, corrosion... The list goes on. Time to break out the Volt meter!
    First thing I would check is a proper ground wire and that the starter is getting voltage when you turn the key. If after several attempt it does start that removes any locking up issues. If the wires are clean and good contact i would next check the starter switch. making sure it's sending voltage to the starting system when you turn the key. This could be you troubled area. Electrical issues are nasty, intermediate electrical issue are even worse. As for the sputtering, first things first- Lets get you running.

Brian O.