Super Z troubles

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by swim, Apr 30, 2004.

1. swim

swim LawnSite Senior Member

I have a 2002 Hustler Super Z 60in cut, with a 25 hp Kawasiki engine. It has 155 hrs on it. It has been dieing from time to time and won't start back without choking it. Today I was cutting grass and it started spitting and sputtering. Then it finally wouldn't run unless the choke lever was pulled all the way out with the choke on all the way. What is wrong with it and how do I fix it. Thank you in advance for your help.

2. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

If you have to run it on choke, it most likely is starving for fuel, I would start with the fuel filter and lines.
    There is a possibility you may need to clean out the carburetor also.
    Pull the filter and see if you can blow air through it.

Let me know.

Pj

3. BLC3

BLC3 LawnSite Member

Water in the fuel?
    Change plugs,fuel filter and ck carb.
    Had the same problem before.
    Hope this helps.

4. DennisF

DennisF LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

I had the same problem. It was the fuel filter. I now change mine every 50 hours. That might be a little bit too often, but I don't wait until something happens and costs me downtime. They only cost about $1 each in quantity and it will keep the engine running smooth.

5. swim

swim LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for the help. It was only a clogged fuel filter. I thought it was something more serious and with trying to keep on schedule had forgotten to do a tune up. Runs great now. Sorry to be so long getting back but things are very busy this time of year. Thanks again for the help.