Super Z vs Lazer HP

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Shady Brook, Sep 6, 2002.

1. Shady Brook

Shady Brook LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indiana

Is a 25/60 Super Z $1200 better then a 52 Lazer hp with a 23 Kohler? I have not tested the Lazer or the Super, only a full liquid cooled Lazer, and a regular Z with no suspension seat. I know with the Super you get greater speed, bigger deck, Suspension seat, and maybe a slightly better warrentee. If we say both dealers are equally good, what are your opinions. Oh yes, currently I am residential so the speed issue is not as big to be, though I would like it just the same.

I know the decision is all mine, but I would like to hear from some of you comrade's.

Thanks
    Jay

2. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

apples to oranges ,seems to me.
    do u have enough to mow to justify a 60 inch z. if so the super is the obvious choice. for a homeowner that be right much acerage. truth is the lazer hp is gonna tickle u also . so its just a matter o choice. u like yelow or red. dang, a super z or hp for one lawn.
    course u wouldnt have to worry about ever buying another mower . if u take care of it. :)edit. unless u meant u mow residential properties. in that case ,why wouldnt speed be a benefit . it is to me.
    shoot its the biggest benefit.imho

3. Shady Brook

from Indiana

Oh, I mean all my accounts are residencial, so speed is relevant, but not as much as if I had big industrial accounts... like I plan to in the future. :D

jay

4. P&J Lawncare

P&J Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

You all ready answered your own question by saying that you plan to do bigger in the future, always buy your equipment with the future in mind so that you don't have to buy more equipment down the road. How many times have you heard people on this board giving advice to other lco's like buy the 16 foot trailer instead of the 10 foot trailer or buy the 3/4 ton instead of the 1/2 ton. I tried alot of mowers (including the exmark) before I bought the super z and I don't regret my choice, I would pay whatever the price if I believed that it was the right mower for me and my buisiness. I would like to hear from one person who wishes that he didn't buy a super z because I haven't found much to complain about with this mower. At louisville when I did talk to the crew from hustler they were the most genuine group of guys you could want to meet and they actually listened to me when I talked to them unlike alot of the other manufactories at louisville. The super z is a great mower and the company backs up their product so I would highly recommend you buy the super z. If you wait until spring I heard from the factory engineer that they will be adding a 28 efi koehler to the super z this winter, that will be one strong mower when it comes out in the spring.

5. ScotLawn

ScotLawn LawnSite Senior Member

you are comparing apples to oranges. the Hustler super Z you listed is not in the same class as the Lazer HP. now the Exmark Lazer is and does come with options of 60" deck and 25hp kohler or now kaw motors. As far as price differance it depends on dealers. I demoed the super Z at the Expo and was impressed. In my area there is an Exmark dealer 3 miles from my house and a john Deere the same distance. If both units were the same price and both left the same feeling when you used them on a demo then go with the best dealer who will service your equipment for you in a timely manner.

Me I'd go EXMARK all the way.

Scot

6. SLS

SLS LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mars

I own a Lazer Z (60" w/23 kaw.) and just LOVE it. It is a 2001 model with 825 TOTALLY TROUBLE-FREE hours. I really like my Exmark dealer...so much that I bought a 2002 Turf Tracer HP from him this year. So, if you want my opinion, I'd look very hard at Exmark. They are great machines...in every way.

That said, I have read TON's of great things from satisfied Hustler owners here...enough to make me believe that this is also great equipment. If I was not already 'sold' on Exmark's quality, dependability, great dealer support, ect I would look at the Hustlers too.

I do not think you can go wrong with either mower. I suppose it really boils down to which dealer in your area gives the beat value, service, ect and therefore earns your loyality and hard-earned $$$.

Good luck deciding! :)

7. Shady Brook

from Indiana

Your thoughts mean alot fellas, thank you.

The dealer issue is the mystery. I have never purchased anything from either. Both seem like they are very nice, with the customer's needs in mind. One has alot of experience with running a LCO as well as the dealership. Both promise a backup if mine goes down. I know that is a big promise. I am pretty confident the Huster guy will answer the call though, and reasonably confident in the exmark dealer as well. The Exmark dealer also sells Dixie, and all thought I did like the cut, and found it enjoyable to ride for the short time I had it, I just don't think it is the machine for me currently. So I really don't know much about the dealers. I would go with the best dealer if it came down to it, I just don't know much about either.

Thanks again
    Jay

8. jay

What exmark dealer did you talk with?

The one in munster?Or crown point?

9. Shady Brook

from Indiana

Jack

Actually it is a guy in Valpo. It is a pretty big outfit. I talked to the one in Munster, and they said they had no demo's, only in the Spring. They said no loner mowers period, they said they have one guy who works on commercial only, and getting you up and running almost never takes more then a day. Oh yeah, I am not holding my breath. The Valpo guy brought a chopper and a Lazer up to me in Schererville to try out. You have any experience with any of these guys?

Thanks
    Jay

10. Shady Brook

from Indiana

Oh, want to talk about service for my Turf Tiger. Last Friday they ordered a fuel pump... still not in yet. Ordered a hose and fitting for a hydropump on Wedsday. Still not in yet. I love down time, really helps the old bottom line. I have missed several weeks due to waiting on parts for that Tiger. Anything has got to be better then that.

Jay