Super Z vs. Lazer HP

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by triadncman, Feb 10, 2003.

1. triadncman

triadncman LawnSite Member

At local dealers I have found a Super Z 52/24 honda at $6700 and a Lazer HP 52/23 kaw at $7100. Which would you buy?
  2. triadncman

triadncman LawnSite Member

sorry i didnt mention thats a super Z mini
  3. excel25

excel25 LawnSite Senior Member

as the oner of a super z gotta say.....HUSTLER!!!!!!
  4. IBGreen

IBGreen LawnSite Senior Member

I would say go with the eXmark. Its will kick some butt on hillsides. I wouldn't think those little mini z tires would give you much stability.
  5. Barkleymut

Barkleymut LawnSite Bronze Member

Do some research on the 24 Honda's. Seems like many have had problems.
  6. David Gretzmier

David Gretzmier LawnSite Gold Member

I have the super and the exmark, no contest, the super kicks tail. rides better, cuts better, handles up/down/side hills no problem. if this is a mini-super z, no experience on that.

24 horse honda problems? Is there a thread on that? I haven't heard that from anyone Daveg
  7. Sam-Ohio

Sam-Ohio LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

There is two things wrong with the Hustler mini Z that you haven't experienced yet - and you are not going to find out the first one till you get a chance to really ride one in a rough yard.

Those little tires that Hustler uses - 20-10x10 will not go across bumps and swails in the yards as smoothly as the larger 23-9.50x 12 tires that just about all the others use on their professional machines. The difference in ride quality and the ability to hold traction on a steep bank is considerably better when the tires are 20% bigger. It is just ridicules to have a 13 mph ground speed, and put tiny wheels on the mower so that it shakes your guts loose. This is marketing - not engineering !!

Second is Hustlers use White brand wheel motors.
    The standard of the industry - and the one almost everyone else uses is Parker/Ross wheel motors. White motors don't have that good of reputation for reliability.

Third Hustler claims to have the lowest center of gravity and lowest seating position . I don't know what Exmark is - but I just checked a Scag Tiger and a Gravely 152, and they both had the same exact seat height as the Hustler, but they both have full size tires on them. Why does the Hustler sit so high with those little tires ?

If you can afford it, I would say you are better off with the Exmark.
    If you are in love with the 24 hp Honda Engine, you better look for a good Scag dealer. The Turf Tiger,52 inch, 24 Honda is about $100 more than the HP Exmark.
    If you want the most for your money - you still haven't checked out the Gravely 152Z - and that is a mistake !!

The Gravely has more features than the others, and is engineered and built as well or better than anything else in the market - for about $6400!!!
  8. Dixie runs them White wheel motors also.
  9. Barkleymut

Barkleymut LawnSite Bronze Member

David Gretzmier- I could have sworn that I had seen several threads on Honda 24's having problems. Then I tried searching for them and found nothing. I should have double checked before I posted that, I have seen one run and it sounded very smooth and quiet. Anyways I have a 4 & a 9HP Honda and have worked them both pretty hard with zero problems.
  10. SLS

SLS LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mars

Here's a thread on just this very subject.

There are several other threads that mention the lack of factory support in supplying parts...and that they are pricy when you do finally get them.

Go into 'search' and type in "Honda Problems"and start'll find the threads I'm talking about.

Just to add:

I have a 2001 Lazer Z 60" (w/ 23hp Kawasaki) that has 987 hours on it. ZERO issues/problems to date. It has been a sweet one. :)

Best of luck to you in your decision.