1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Super Z wheel motor longevity

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tacoma200, Jul 30, 2006.

1. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

Mowerconsultant, I would like you to comment on a couple of quotes from a Lawnsite member about his bad luck with Super Z wheel motors. Here are two quotes from him
    1 "Lost 3 wheel motors in 1100 hours..."
    2 "The Super Z is designed for "flat" ground. There is not enough "torque" for

I hate to bother you with all the questions but being new to the Hustler family it stirs my curiosity. Have the Super Z wheels motors been reliable in hilly terrain? His was a few years old (3 I think) so it would be the same White motors I would guess. You can send me a PM or put this on the forum, I was just wanted to know if any history of wheel failures was common or this was a fluke. It has a couple of us scratching our head. I know every company has a problem mower every now and then. Thanks for your time.
  2. AintNoFun

AintNoFun LawnSite Bronze Member

we have 4 super z's. i just looked the other day at my oldest one and it has 2300 hours on it. 2 others have 600 and 900 and the other is a brand new replacement. my guys are horrible on equipment and hustlers hold up the best. we have had no problem with the wheel motors but we have replaced a few hydraulic hoses over the years which is no big deal..

REALSLOW LawnSite Senior Member
    from FLORIDA

I wonder if it is a possibilty to set a Super up for torque and loss some speed if you wanted to?
  4. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

The ATZ Hustler uses the same big pumps, but goes with 26ci wheel motors for more torque. It's top speed is only 9mph.

Maybe a 22ci motor would be the best of both?

I still think the 21cc pumps are MAJOR power suckers! :rolleyes:
  5. Branchland

Branchland LawnSite Senior Member

I have a '04 Super Z with about 480 hours on it. At around 450 hours I had the left wheel motor start leaking. Thank God it was still just in warrenty.
    As far as power goes, I've noticed this year that I loose power on hills. Which is starting to be a pain.
    But I've been very pleased with the mower. To do it again I'd get another one.

from FLORIDA

I find if you just slow down on hills and go regular speed the pumps are not a problem but the real problem is the motor manufactres are not keeping up in HP area.

from FLORIDA

I would think the 26cc would suck more power, maybey they made a change somewhere else?
  8. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

My Lazer has smaller pumps, motors but has more power up hills. No big problem but I would rather the Super only go 10-12 mph and have more power for hills if this makes sense.

from FLORIDA

You are right they went for to much speed rather than torque. I have almost enough power on hills but you have to be careful with stick engagement. WE NEED BIGGER ENGINES! then the H Z setup will sing!
  10. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Like I said in the other threads...

I believe I would opt for the Hustler Z XR7 w/suspension seat over the Super for my application.

If memory serves me, when Dixie cam out with the 15mph flatlanders the same was said about them. But with the name flatlander... well I think the intended use was implied.

I do bet the ATZ setup would be sweet on the ZTR.