1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Super Z wheel motor problem

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by livingreen1, Dec 8, 2007.

1. livingreen1

livingreen1 LawnSite Member

Anyone know anything about wheel motors. I have been fortunate enough not to have dealt with any till now I am curious to know if they can be rebuilt? My seal is leaking and we replaced it and now has blown the new seal again. any thoughts would be great
  2. GreenT

GreenT LawnSite Fanatic

You may want to post this question in the "Mechanic and Repair" forum
  3. grasskicker71

grasskicker71 LawnSite Member

do a search for hustler pumps..one of the guys on here talked to the makers of the pumps by email or phone.He goes by puppypaws,smart guy very knowledgeable.Look up post by him maybe he can get you talking to the right people.I would like to know myself.I use to work on forklifts and we would rebuild hydraulic motors all the time.Thats been ten years and I've forgot a lot since then though...
  4. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

I have limited experience......had a Scag rebuilt and it lasted about 6 months and it cost me about $130. The problem is usually the outer bearing wears out and then the shaft that turns on it gets marked or worn. Then when you put in the new bearing and seal it just won't hold the very high pressures run in these motors. I got one in to a shop this week to try one more time because when I took it apart the mating shaft seemed okay....I caught it early. Total cost to repair will be $100. I would not expect to get much over a year out of it. I took mine to a shop that only works on these hydro wheel motor....