Super Z Wheel motors - CE-18 or RC-18

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by nielsorj, Apr 22, 2012.

1. nielsorj

nielsorj LawnSite Member

My 2006 Super Z (mod #928036 S#06050458) has developed a leak on the right wheel motor at 327 hours. I've been reading that the RC-18 wheel motors may be a better choice than the original CE-18 motors that came as original equipment. The price for the motors is roughly the same. Is this a switch I should make now? Can I just change the leaker for the new number, or do I need to change both motors?

If one were to switch to the RC-18 motors, is a pump change needed also? If so, why?

Ron

2. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

To switch you must go with both at the same time.
    You do not have to change pumps.
    Have you checked to see if you can replace a seal or if its a loose fitting?

Pj

3. nielsorj

nielsorj LawnSite Member

Unfortunately, it's not a loose fitting. I have located a hydraulic repair shop in town and will see if they can do the work. The local Hustler dealer says there is no listing for a seal kit. I THINK the seal kit I need is a White Drive Products 400444300E. Do you have a part number that would be helpful to the Hustler dealer for lookup and pricing?

4. mowerconsultant

Male, from Syracuse, NY

The Hustler part # for the seal kit is 784991 MSRP is $41.92

5. nielsorj

nielsorj LawnSite Member

Thanks for the part number for the seal kit.

The hydraulic shop said it would take 3 hours @ $80 plus the kit, so almost $300 for the motor repair. I thought about it and decided to order a new one in lieu of repairing the old one, The new motor is just over $400, so I'd rather spend the $100 more for the new one.

6. nielsorj

nielsorj LawnSite Member

New wheel motor installed. No muss, no fuss. Nice to have the mower working again. And my 70 year old neighbor won't have to mow my yard for a while!!!

7. mowerconsultant

Male, from Syracuse, NY

Great to hear!

Pj