Super Z's 2012 Versus 2013 Speed Difference

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by puppypaws, Aug 13, 2013.

1. puppypaws

puppypaws LawnSite Fanatic

I had my dealer check the speed on a 2012 Super Z HyperDrive with the 24" tires, and a 2013 Super Z HD with the 26" tires by GPS.

The 2012 Super Z with 24" tires after averaging four runs was at 15.7 mph.

The 2013 Super Z with 26" tires after averaging four runs was at 17.2 mph.

This may have been done before but I have never seen this information in print. Now, for all those such as myself with wondering minds, we have accurate speed numbers based on GPS.
  2. greenology

greenology LawnSite Senior Member

26/24 =( 1.0833 ) * 15.7 = 17.01 mph. Sounds like what to expect.

Whats the advertised speed? 16 mph I think isn't it.

The larger tire would make for a little less acceleration & would tame the huge hydros down slightly, sounds like a good change! Traction would be better off coarse & Im guessing the ride would be a little better, slightly more cushion.
  3. puppypaws

My mower is smoking fast, can't imagine 17+ mph.
  4. Realslowww

Realslowww LawnSite Bronze Member

Just order the tires and put them on. the EFI may be a while.
  5. puppypaws

Not too much longer, they will contact me before the first one is set to come off the assembly line, and I've already got a little knowledge of the time-frame. I'm not interested in the extra speed, but I am interested in the fuel injected engine, larger tires, and air-ride seat.
  6. Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Michigan

Hustler has an air ride seat coming out? Will they use the DFI, or do they have an EFI version coming out?
  7. retrodog

retrodog LawnSite Silver Member

They are ridiculously fast....Lol. scared of the employees just running them around the parking lot....
  8. aroddy

aroddy LawnSite Senior Member

I'd be more concerned about your employees driving it to lunch ha ha 17mph is ******ed
  9. puppypaws

The Grammer air ride seat is already being utilized, it came out this year on the HD model.

It will give the same ride as the Gravely air ride seat, the only difference being is Gravely has a 12 volt electrical pump inserting the air, whereas with the HD you have a hand pump between your legs at the front of the seat. This would suit me fine to use the hand pump, you would not change the air pressure enough to ever warrant an electrical pump. I set the Gravely seat initially, and never found the need to change from that point.

You are a good one to back my claims when saying there comes a point when speed becomes excessive when mowing, and it becomes uncomfortable not only in ride but in operation as well.

People have no idea of what this feels like unless you actually experience it for yourself.
  10. GMLC

GMLC LawnSite Platinum Member

As a commercial cutter mowing 10+ properties a day I find myself adjusting the seat air pressure a lot. Some properties are much rougher than others. On some steep hills I take all the air out to lower my center of gravity. So IMO a hand pump air seat would be a PITA.