1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Super Z's 2012 Versus 2013 Speed Difference

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by puppypaws, Aug 13, 2013.

1. puppypaws

puppypaws LawnSite Fanatic

You made the statement in an earlier post that you found, as I did, that raising the seat about 1 1/2" with air pressure is what gave the best ride.

I would believe raising the seat with air pressure serves the purpose of giving the best ride for the person's weight. You sound as if you change the pressure regularly, I would say most people do not. They set the seat to where it gives the best ride for their weight, and this is where it remains, but here again, it's a Ford, Chevrolet scenario, if it satisfies a person, then that's the action they need to take.
  2. Realslowww

Realslowww LawnSite Bronze Member

Actually a mower of that speed is creating a dangerous situation and Hustler could be opening the door for lawsuits, the unit should have 2 speeds with a locking devise so the owner can lock it in slow mode for safety if desired.
  3. GMLC

GMLC LawnSite Platinum Member

Yup 1-2" is my favorite position for comfort. But I do move it depending on conditions especially steep hills. But if I had only one choice it would be 1 1/2".
  4. puppypaws

Given the Grammer seat feels the same as the Gravely I tried, I will manually pump it up to my desired height, and probably never change it again, the same as I have with the last several mowers I've owned with Michigan seats. I set them on the best ride and forget they have an adjustment, as will most people.
  5. GMLC

Most commercial cutters will adjust to different confitions given the choice and ease. I mow a small apple orchard with lots of low hanging branches, with no air I get the extra head room. The Gravely air seat is far superior than the michigan seats. There is no comparison at all.
  6. puppypaws

I've used both an agree the air suspension seat is definitely better, to say it is better than the air ride Grammer seat Hustler uses, I doubt it seriously.

That's funny about being able to lower the seat enough to make a difference when mowing under apple tree limbs. I would have never thought 1 1/2" would make that kind of difference.
  7. GMLC

I have never used the air grammer seat so I cant state that gravely's is better. Im sure its also amazing and better than the typical suspn. seats. But I will say an electric pump is a nice feature vs a hand pump.

As far as head clearance on limbs it makes a huge difference. I have the scars to prove it!!:) Also a lot of my large commercial acerage accounts have a ton of ornamental trees that hang low.
  8. greenology

greenology LawnSite Senior Member

Yea I can reiterate what GMLC says, as will prob most guys mowing different properties all the time. even 1" would make a difference.
  9. Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Michigan

Yea, but you also never thought that an extra 1- 1.5 mph would make that much difference either, but now you know different.
  10. puppypaws

I am getting a little more comfortable with the faster speed, in other words I would use it if facing a fast moving rain storm, but for the most part I will mow in the 14 to 14 1/2 mph range in my long open areas. I think you could see in the video I would have no problem mowing at a full 15 mph, just don't need to kick my 64 yr old body around any more than necessary.

I still do really well for my age, I've got 64 year old friends that could not get out of bed the next day if they rode a mower 4 hours at the speeds I use. I would be willing to guess most of you younger guys would feel a difference as well. There is a great deal of difference when mowing at 14 to 15 mph, than at what you boys run at which is probably in the 8 to no more than 10 mph range, it's a totally different feel, and your body knows well, believe me.