Superchip?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Johnson LCO, Sep 21, 2007.

1. Johnson LCO

Johnson LCO LawnSite Senior Member

I just bought a 2000 ford f350 dually with the 7.3 liter turbo diesel engine and manual trans. This might be overkill for its intended use, which is to tow a 18 foot enclosed trailer with two walk behinds and a ztr but I thought it was better to get too big than too small. Anyway, I was wondering if anyone had an opinion on these superchips that I keep seeing. Does it improve fuel economy? What are the benefits and drawbacks? Is there a specific brand that is best or to avoid? Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

2. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

3. CTJ

CTJ LawnSite Member

I have a 2001 F-250 with a dp tuners setup. I ordered it with 4 settings. No Start, Stock, 80econ, and 120 race. I think its great. In the 80econ program I can get 20 MPG if I keep my foot out of it. They also have tune for towing.
    Check out the diesel stop for more info.
    http://www.dp-tuner.com/

Make sure you get a set of gauges before you get a chip.

4. Johnson LCO

This might be a stupid question, but where and why get gauges? Does the remote on the dp tuners stay in the cab? Are they wireless? Can you change the settings while driving? Thanks

5. CTJ

CTJ LawnSite Member

You need gauges to keep an eye on your exhaust temps if you're going to up the horsepower. Which most people do. Or if your towing 10,000 pound.

DP tuners is a chip. You'll have a little switch that mounts on your dash. 3/4" X 1-1/2". Push the button and it downloads a new program as you drive. You can have up to five different programs, all can be switched on the fly.

6. CTJ

CTJ LawnSite Member

7. Johnson LCO

Thanks for the info. I was actually planning on buying the new f5 which stores 20 different settings. The only problem is each setting costs anywhere from $25-75 each, so I will probably only buy 5 or 6.

8. stroker51

stroker51 LawnSite Senior Member

I've got the Edge Evolution in both my '96 F250 and '99 F350 dually. Woke both of these trucks up big time. For the $379.00 it's a pretty good value, you can't change settings on the fly, but it has a 60-80-100 horse settings. For what it's worth, the performance shop I got them from told me that stock injectors are only good for around 75-80 hp over stock give or take a little. The cool thing about it is that it is also a code reader, so if you see a check engine light, just plug it in and pull the code.

9. TXNSLighting

TXNSLighting LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

i prefer bully dog to them all, altho ive heard good things about edge products. dp isnt that good, his stuff can be pretty bad. superchips are junk. Also get an air intake with it. youll love the way your turbo sings. o sct for fords is really good. just thought about that. goto superdutydiesel.com lots of good info on sct tuners.

10. Johnson LCO

I looked at bullydog and the edge evolution, but none seem to have the number of settings that the Dp tuner has. The edge evolution is cool because it can read the codes but you can get that done for free at most garages. What I am looking for is settings to get better mpg when just driving and more power for towing my 16ft enclosed trailer. I like the fact that the Dp tuner seems easy to use and can switch on the fly in case I am having trouble getting up a hill. With no start, stock, 4 tow settings and econo, it costs about $465 with remote. I am not sure how much gauges cost but I guess I better get them also. What is so good about the edge evolution compared to this? Correction the DP tuner f5 has up to 16 settings, not 20.